Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just Moved to Kansas From Louisiana, and am excited for the new hunting experience. I have always hunted with a 12ga but felt I needed a rifle with all these open fields. I bought a Remington 7 mm Mag. After setting the scope (20 shots)my arm is dead. Is thhis too much gun for deer hunting?

·
Registered
602 Posts
7mm mag is a big rifle. lol. have some friends that use them in georgia. seems like alittle over kill, but that is just my opinion. lol. 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm-08, 25-06, 30-30, 243 will take down any deer in the southeast. all about shot placement. but hey, each his own. lol. a good recoil pad and maybe a muzzlebrake will take alot of the bite out of that rifle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I might have been better off considering before buying. I wanted something that could possibly take down an Elk also so tried to split the difference. Gander Moutain has good salesmen.

·
Registered
602 Posts
well, you didn't mention elk in the original post. lol. i would look into getting a muzzle brake installed. to lessen the recoil if it bothers ya. there is some light loads (bullet weights) that work great on deer. a good gunsmith could install you a muzzle brake for under $200.00. down here anyways.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
pretty stout recoil! It would be pretty good for elk as you say. It's a shame they didn't sell you a 7mm-08 you would have liked the lesser recoil. If it really bothers you I'd either put it aside and get something else or possibly sell it and get something more mild. However, you have the hard job job done the sight-in so it should be a one shot thing now! One thing you don't want is to be recoil shy at the moment of truth and only you can make that decision. What model Remington rifle did you purchase if you don't mind my asking.

·
Registered
820 Posts
well, you didn't mention elk in the original post. lol. i would look into getting a muzzle brake installed. to lessen the recoil if it bothers ya. there is some light loads (bullet weights) that work great on deer. a good gunsmith could install you a muzzle brake for under $200.00. down here anyways.
The thing about muzzle breaks is that they make the rifle quite a bit louder. I suppose with a 7mm mag you better be wearing ear protection anyway.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
WD, my son had to sell his 260 Rem cal in the Browning a-bolt because it had that boss system on it and literally would pierce you ear drums with the most screeching high pitched sound ever. I don't know what a simple muzzle break does for sound but I suggest anyone purchasing a rifle with the boss system shoot it first.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretty stout recoil! It would be pretty good for elk as you say. It's a shame they didn't sell you a 7mm-08 you would have liked the lesser recoil. If it really bothers you I'd either put it aside and get something else or possibly sell it and get something more mild. However, you have the hard job job done the sight-in so it should be a one shot thing now! One thing you don't want is to be recoil shy at the moment of truth and only you can make that decision. What model Remington rifle did you purchase if you don't mind my asking.

Recoil doesnt bother me I was just commenting that 20 shots in an hour was a bit much. If I have to shoot 20 times in a hunting season with a 6 deer limit I should probablly take up golf or somethingelse.

The rifle is a cheaper model the remington model 770. I like its look and it seems to shoot ok ( On the range) Never hunted with it obviosly. I am not one who goes for the prettier wood designer stocks the black composite is good enough for me. The Bolt does seem a bit rough for lack of a better word i added some lube oil after cleaning thinking that would help just not a reall smooth action. Im hunting Big game on a School Teachers Budget with 4 kids.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geuss the heart of my question want clearly stated. I have been given to seemingly contradictory thoughts on my rifle selection they are these:

1. The rifle is too hot ( meaning it will pass through the deer and he will run off forcing a potentially long and burdensome tracking session)

2. It is too powerful and will cause undue damage to the deer wasting meat.

I dont want to waste game due to losing them and them dying elsewhere or due to wasted meat from damage. Guess ill just aim at the head and kill or miss. LOL

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I hear you on the budget issue. For many years I had a wish list and now some 25 years later I can fulfill a couple. I'm a wood guy and like a lot of crazy grain when I can find it. I clearly remember sighting in my Dad's 270 wm and after 12 shots I had all I wanted on shoulder pain. When it was time to sight in my 270 wm luckily it was close and only took a few shots. I don't even like to shoot those things due to the recoil anymore. Good luck with the new rig and happy hunting.

·
Registered
820 Posts
1. The rifle is too hot ( meaning it will pass through the deer and he will run off forcing a potentially long and burdensome tracking session)
Well, no.

2. It is too powerful and will cause undue damage to the deer wasting meat.
That is a possibility. A neck shot might be your best option, unless its a nice buck.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm in the group that says I want a big exit hole. I wouldn't consider the 7mag too big for your area just hit them behind the shoulder and no wasted meat. The deer should nearly drop in their tracks as this is a double lung hit and even king kong can't run without air. I'm not head/neck shot man as there are too many bad things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"If I have to shoot 20 times in a hunting season with a 6 deer limit I should probablly take up golf or something else." About fell out my chair when I read that, will have to remember that line - especially the way I play golf.

As someone else has already said it -- it's all about shot placement. You put a shot through both lungs regardless what caliber and the deer's not gonna be running very far or very long. Who knows - you may even catch a rib on the way in helping the bullet to expand and do what it's supposed to do. Double lung also damages very little meat. Save the head shots and go for a more "sure" thing. But that's just my humble opinion.

For recoil - see the thread I started on this very subject. I zeroed in a Remington 81 taking 12 shots in about 15-20 minutes. Shoulder was bruised and sore for days. Asked the guys about a recoil pad and got a great response. Ordered the recoil pad directly from their website and it's already at the house.

LimbSaver : Products : Precision-Fit Recoil Pad

·
Registered
852 Posts
New 7mm Magnum rifle

I beleave that both Federal and Remington make reduced power loads for the 7mm Mag. If they don't find someone that reloads and have them load some lighter loads for you. You don't need to hit a Deer with a 140gr going over 3000fps but that is what your factory loads are cruising in at. I did go on an Elk hunt with a guy using the 7mm Mag. He made a long shot at an Elk that I would not have considered trying. The caliber is a very good one. I love shooting different rifles from the bench for fun. I personally find the non magnums more fun than the harder kicking magnums. Yea I am a wimp...

Karl

·
Registered
72 Posts
A 7mm mag is a bit big for most deer unless you are shooting really far. I have one for elk, and I have used it for whitetails, but I dropped down to a 150 grain bullet. They do kick a little more then a 30-06, but mine seems really loud and I couldn't imagine it with a muzzle break. If its the only rifle you have, just drop down to a lighter grain bullet, and use a good shot placement. I'm not a head or neck shot guy either, but I wish you good luck in your hunt. If you end up not really liking it for hunting you could always sell it and get a 7m-08 if you want to stay in the 7mm size. They are great to shoot, hardly any recoil, and are good to 300 yards, maybe more if you are a good shot.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i dont think caliber is the problem its a fine round.the problem is its his first rifle and were saying once you sight in you wont have to shoot it much.a little more research could have gotten him a better choice(7mm/08,270,3006)still done all he wanted and he would enjoy shooting it.especially your first rifle you should want to shoot it and become proficient with it.if this 7mm mag means he doesn't want to practice or enjoy shooting it then it was the wrong choice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
you shoot a deer with that 7mm mag it will give them a spanking!!i really don't think you will have to track a long distance if any if you have a good shot placement!i know it happens to me when i shoot a deer i don't even feel the recoil and i hunt with a 338win mag!well its one of cals i hunt with and i know its way overkill!!i have a 6mm rem,2506,308,3006 just to name a few and i use them all!!but.. thats me!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ideas for your Remington 770's rough bolt

I went back and read all the posts on this tread and you mentioned that your bolt is a little rough. That is a kind way of discribing it from what I remember on the ones I have handled. Instead of oil I recommend that you go over to your local NAPA auto parts store and get some Amsoil heavy duty synthedic grease. It will be in a plastic tub about the same size as a cool wip container. It will be purple in color and it is wonderful stuff to have around firearms. If your rifle is a little rough as you say put a healthy amount on the entire bolt after removing it from the receiver. Then re-insert the bolt and watch some tv as you cycle the bolt a couple hundred times. Yes I said a couple of hundred. After you are sick of doing this make sure to clean the bore in case any grease found its way into the barrel. After cleaning put a little on the bolt lugs and enjoy a more pleasent action on your rifle. This stuff is incredible on stainless semi-automatic pistols.

Karl

·
Registered
957 Posts
I shoot the 7 mag and I have no problems with the recoil at all. I also don't think it is to big for whitetails,however I hunt in northern wisconsin and the deer tend to be a little bigger there. And I'm thinking the reson I dont have recoil issues is cuz I am a rather stout man.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts