Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never heard of that round, and can't find it in any of my handloading manuals.Is it some sort of wildcat handload? Do you mean the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, commonly called the 6.5 Swede? That is a great "medium" loading perfectly adequate for deer and even larger game,. In fact, the Scandinavians kill most of their moose with that cartridge. As good as it is, it pales in a match up with the 270 WSM. As an example, the Swede can be handloaded to shoot a 130 grainer at 2550 fps, while the 270 WSM will push the same weight bullet out of the barrel at 3260.

·
Registered
852 Posts
6.8 SPC (.277cal)

I would not compare this round to the magnum 270WSM. It is the same bore diameter but only has the case capacity to drive a bullet of around 115gr.
The military is considering this round as one of the rounds available to replace the standard .223/5.56 in our issue M16s. The troops in the Gulf War are reporting that the 115gr is a lot more effective then the 62gr round in the 5.56. The advantages are it is easy to convert our M16s/M4s to this cartridge and after changing the follower in the mag it will handle the 6.8 without problems. This is not a long range round, with a light for calibre bullet and it only leaves the barrel around 2700fps. The troops like it for use in under 300yard engagements. I believe there are at least two other cartridges that are being combat tested besides the 6.8 SPC. They are the .30AR and one that is 6.5 mm(.260). I personally don't see the US adopting a replacement for the .223/5.56 any time in the near future. It would be very expensive and a logistics nightmare. This is to bad as lives are possibly being lost due the the current round in use. The Army and the Marines can not even decide whether their next pistol should be in 45acp or 40s&w.

Karl

·
Registered
168 Posts
the 6.8spc was designed for and really only practical if you plan to hunt with an AR 15. Most states make 6mm/.243 minimum caliber requirements for hunting big game so the 6.8 fills this bill. It is not a long range caliber but is light in recoil. Would be great if you want to hunt with an AR and shots are not over 200 yds

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok this was kinda the plan. i was hopeing to find a round that was good for hunting, with a normal rifle. but also would work for an ar. and to say the least i trust .223 (5.56mm) about as far as i could throw it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also was looking for a cal. that i could buy in bulk. the only 2 cals that i can find in th AR, that i can find in bulk are the .223, and the .308. and i hate .223

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for the link describing the cartridge. I guess I'm more up-to-date on strictly hunting ammunition and not military stuff. Again, because of my experience and personal preferences, as well as practical needs for a cartridge with lots of power and the ability to deliver at long ranges on potentially large animals, I would not be interested in this round for hunting. It is just way underpowered for my needs. If you are interested in something in that ballistic range, I'd suggest you look at the .260, 25/06 or the 257 Roberts - all proven game-getters, and probably better performers for hunting all around.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guess there is no logical way i can find one round to do everything i want. gess ill be sticking to the .270 for hunting, and figure out what i want on the AR plaform. wish they would just make a .270 ar.

G

·
sounds like we're starting down that, ar as a hunting rifle, path again. i still say the ar's were made for rounds down range not tack driving.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I agree with you ronn. ARs are great weapons but hunters should realize that rifles designed for hunting are far better suited for hunting conditions.

:coffee:

G

·
oh. the problem with bulk ammo is well, the same issue. its made to rattle off on the range or to make the bad guys duck. more offten than not its not even legal to hunt with being fully jacketed ammo. stick with something designed to do the job you want it to.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats what i will be doing. sticking with .270 to hunt with, and getting an AR for sending lots of rounds down range and making the bad guys duck, if need be of corce.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think some of us need to get up to date on AR. The AR's are as accurate as bolt actions these days and most companies that manufacture them make specific models for hunting with. The first question i have for everyone who questions "military" weapons for hunting is "Where did the .30-06 come from?" I'm pretty sure it was first a military round and rifle. yes they are more expensive. Hunt Nh, if you will never shoot over 200 yds the 6.8 seems ideal for what you want, but you can get ARs in all the wssm, 6.5 grendel, .300 fireball, .50 beowolf and .450 bushmaster. Step up to the AR 10, which is a slightly larger version of the AR 15, and you can get .243, 308, .260 and all the wsm

G

·
I think some of us need to get up to date on AR. The AR's are as accurate as bolt actions these days and most companies that manufacture them make specific models for hunting with. The first question i have for everyone who questions "military" weapons for hunting is "Where did the .30-06 come from?" I'm pretty sure it was first a military round and rifle. yes they are more expensive. Hunt Nh, if you will never shoot over 200 yds the 6.8 seems ideal for what you want, but you can get ARs in all the wssm, 6.5 grendel, .300 fireball, .50 beowolf and .450 bushmaster. Step up to the AR 10, which is a slightly larger version of the AR 15, and you can get .243, 308, .260 and all the wsm
no update needed. i own 2 ar platforms, a bushmaster carbon and a dpms 308lr, and sadly sold another, a bushmaster a4. yup much improved over years ago. the point was what was the platform designed for???????rounds down range. a change of mentality from the 03-a3 days. besides snipers/(hunters) today are using what platform predominantly? hunt nh was also talking about bulk ammo to do both hunt and rattle battle, which is again use what was designed for that usage and there are less problems. you can haul lumber in a station wagon but wouldn't a pickup be a better choice type thing.
i think hunting man posted a long list of calibers a while ago. i was really surprised at the choices

I always wanted an ar10 but after talking to several folks that had one i was talked out of it. to the person they said it wasn't what it was suppose to be. the springfield, m14 style or the socom, were a better rifles

·
Registered
824 Posts
My "antique" Mosin-Nagant comes in one of the most widely used calibers for hunting - 7.62x54R. It's also widely sold from many suppliers in bulk -- none of which can be used for hunting here in Texas. I have to have a round that is not "full metal jacket", but it's something I can still purchase from one of the local gunshops here in town.

Saiga came recommended to me from one of the local gunshops as a replacement for my 'varmint' rifle - M1 Carbine. Since the M1 is 66 years old this year, it's been recommended to be made a 'cabinet queen' -- something to take out twice a year, clean, oil, put back on the shelf to be admired. Saiga makes an AK-47 replica in both .223 and .308 that would satisfies the AR requirement - should anyone want something with bulk ammo availability.

Me? I'm more of a "one shot - one deer in the freezer" mentality -- even if I don't quite succeed in that all the time. Last year it was four shots and three deer in the freezer. I got buck fever when he stepped out of the treeline. But that's what forums like this are all about, right? Ain't it great when we have the right to voice our opinions like this?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this topic has kinda gone off topic. i have zero intent on hunting with an AR. i was simpaly asking about if a round that would be good for bolth hunting (with a good hunting rifle) and could be used in an AR platform.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts