Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Michael I am new to these forums and hunting and I am looking for some addvice on the 6.5x55 for red , fallow and sika deer. I have not fired many big rifles so dont know about the recoil deal I have fired 243, 308 and 12g shotgun to give you a idea, so does anyone have any experience with this caliber I heard it is very accurate, light recoil and good killing power. I have already chosen the rifle I want it is a Tikka T3 lite with a leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope.:thumbup:

R

·
0 Posts
hi i think, based on what i'm hearing, you choose a great rifle. i don't know much about the 6.5 except its very much like the 260. rem. and if thats the case its a great round. welcome to the club

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
welcome

tikka makes a great rifle.their barrels are made by sako and they have a nice trigger,welcome to the site:thumbup:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
the 6.5x55 Caliber is a good choice for medium size game but also depends on the range you'll be shooting in.
For me personally, I consider the 6.5x55 a little on the light side, I would use it to hunt with if my targets
were always going to be within a 200 yard range but I wouldn't want to risk shots any further then that
after 200 yards the bullet begins to drop rapidly.
If you zero in at 200 yards the Hornady 140gr. SP InterLock drops 9.9 inches at 300 yards & 57.4 inches at 500 yards.

Good Luck & welcome to the club.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
NZ Hunter, hello and welcome. It doesn't surprise me that you've chosen the 6.5X55mm. The cartridge was developed in 1891 and for many years used by several European countries for their military cartridge of choise. Propelling a 140 gr bullet at 2650 fps is well suited for deer sized game and for those who do not want to have a heavy recoiling rifle. The design on the 6.5 creates a very accurate bullet thus highly suitable for hunting. Good choise for your hunting needs and while I don't own a Tika rifle but all I hear is how good they are. Congrats on your future purchase and happy hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts