Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fixing to buy a .50 cal Hawken and was wondering about a good load for deer?I have an inline and use the powerbelts,can I use these in the Hawken?

·
Registered
394 Posts
My father in law has a .45 caliber hawken and he uses a 150 grain sabot and measures 120 grains of traditional blackpowder with decent results. Give the powerbelts a shot what do you have to lose they either work or they do not. On a personal note I use sabots in both my inlines, the accuracy is far better from what I can see.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
My TC Firehawk will shoot sabot or TC maxi-hunters. Hawken rifles may shoot a conical better as the barrel twist is usually 1-48" and will stabelize a conical. I'd start with 90 grains of 777 and or 3f black powder if you want to be more tradional, then go to 100 gr after you get on paper. You may find a TC maxi-hunter or a Buffalo bullet will shoot pretty well if the sabots won't group for you. In all due respect the 120 gr of black powder in a 45 cal is way over kill and might be over the max charge rating for the barrel, something to check on. I only shoot 110 gr of 2f in my 54 Hawken.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure were he came up with 120 grains for a charge. I know it says nothing on the barrel about a maximum charge, personally I shoot a hundred grains out of my inline and feel that may be a little much for the distances I usually shoot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most Hawkens have slow twist rates, 1 in 48" as mentioned. That is why heavy sabots do not shoot well. A standard round ball only weighs 180 grains. I use 190 grain lea sabots from Cabela's with good results. I use 85 grains of 3f, as is ignites better with percussion caps. Had a lot of misfires using 2f powder.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A PRB is all you need for deer. .530 ball...015 patch...80gr of real BP.

Putting a modern load in a Hawken is like kissing your sister.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Muley, i think his first post was buying a 50 cal which would be either a 490 or 495 ball depending on patch thickness and barrel bore, otherwise I agree with the rest of your post! :wink: Black powder is the only way I go with Hawken style rifles especially the flintlocks. The 50's get 100gr of 3f and the 54 gets 110gr of 2f. With these loads I've never seen black unburned powder in the snow, indicating full charge burn. The Hawken book I have says the 52 cals were loaded with as much as 120 gr on a regular basis even with powder guarded like fort knox.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My bad. I'm so used to loading my .54, I had a brain fade. Of course a .490 ball. I like the smaller ball and thicker patches.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Muley these are the TC pre-lubed patches and don't burn through with the TC PA hunter or my 54 home built Hawken using the listed loads. Years back my Lyman GPR 54 would burn holes so I shot 530 gr round balls and .015 -.017 patches to stop the holes. Back then I was using a product called bear grease for the patches, came in a can, but not sure who made it. That was more than a few years ago. Worse problem was trying to do the spit patch method and got a lot of burn through. Never did make sense to me to add moisture to black powder, but I guess it worked for some??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hawkin

I have shot a 50 cal. Traditions Hawkin for the last 20yrs. patch and round ball is the way to go.I have tried all of the modern sabots and cant get a good three shot print with any of them out of a 1-48 twist.I shoot .490 ball .015 patch, I shoot 3in. group at 125 yrds. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
yea, a 1-48" twist is right down the middle. Too fast for a sabot and most cases a trifle fast for a patched round ball. I know the old St. Louis Hawken's were all like 1-48 but most patch and ball shooters are using 1-66 or 1-70" twist bartrels. You're getting a 1-1,000,000 group out the Tradition's Hawken. I would have kept it too with that kind of accuracy. I'm surprised that a Buffalo bullet or TC maxi-hunter wouldn't shoot fairly well. I think my FireHawk is like 1-35" rifling and shoots 1.5" @100yds groups all day with Maxi-hunters as long as I do my part..

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are right on Hunting Man,my son has been after me for years to go inline.I said no thanks as long as my Traditions shoots the way it does I dont feel the need for another muzzleloader.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
load

The load would depend on what you buy. If you buy a tradional style Hawken that has a slow twist barrel 1/48" or slower then a 490 patched round ball with about 85gr of 2F will make a nice hunting load that will be good out to a 100 yards.

The newer Hawkens like those by TC were designed to shoot the maxi ball that is a bullet style projectile. The load for these should be in the 80 to 90gr 2F range.

I have also shot RB out of the newer Hawkens with good results. If you use RB go to any fabric store and buy a yard of 100% cotton pillow ticking. This usually is 15 to 18 thou. thick and can not be beat for patch material.

Anybody that tells you that you have to shoot a 100 plus grains to get a good hunting or target load should spend more time at the range or witness what a 50 cal RB can do to a deer at 100 yards or closer. I have yet to retrive a 50 cal ball out of a deer that had not flattened out to the size of a quater when it went in and tore that size hole all the way through to the outher side, breaking bones on it's way.

I also use spit as a lube. All you need is a little to help that patched RB down the bore. I stopped using bore lube as a patch lube when I found that at the end of my hunting day when I would unload my gun that sometimes the load would go off kind of slow and sounded like a boom instead of a crack. I found that the lube was contaminating my powder charge. :crybaby:I am not syaing that they all will do that but the one that I was using did. I have never had that problem with a spit patch.

Anyway good luck, I know you will enjoy shooting BP.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Something everyone here gets is opinions. I shoot 3f in flintlock 50 cal, 2f in 54 cal flintlocks. All my round ball flintlocks shoot better with .010 thick patches. BlackHorn powder in all the in-lines. I shoot 100 gr loads in the in-lines, 110 in the 54, 90 in the flintlock 50. For pure tradition nothing beat shooting flintlocks with a patched round ball. Was at the range today sighting in the Omega, Traditions, and making sure the Triumph is still good to go. Shoulder is just a bit tight now. :crybaby:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts