Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a tikka t3 in either 270 , 308 , 7mm08, 243 and 25-06 I am 14 years old and am a rugby player and was wondering and what caliber would be best suited to me for reasonably long shots and also if you have any comments about the tikka i would love to hear them. cheers Michael:thumbup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
How far of a shot are you talking about?I like all the calibers you are asking about.If I had to pick one far a (long)shot it would be the 270.But all of them are capable of making a long shot.I don't know alot about the tikka rifles.I do know they are a quality made rifle.Believe me,with asking about so many calibers,I won't be the only one who responds to this question.Good luck.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Michael, glad to hear you are buying a Tikka. It is a superb rifle and a great bargain. I've written a lot about this rifle before, so I won't repeat anything.
As for calibers, all the ones you mentioned are excellent. But for long range shots, the 243 will run out of gas (energy) faster than any of the others you have in mind. Pick any one of the others, put a good quality scope on it, practice, practice, practice, and you will be more than a match for any big game animal at any practical range. Good luck and good hunting!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I rate the first three best and the 25-06 last for preference. I would add the Rem 280 to your list and agree with onehorse that the 243 is limited for long range shooting. Remember good quality optics are just as important as the rifle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ha ha. if i had the money i would buy them all... but back to the real world.:thumbdown:!! i have a 270. and i think i might like it more than my other rifles. so im going to say the 270 gets my vote. good hunting:thumbup:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Huntingman, thanks for mentioning the .280. I didn't because it wasn't one that Michael listed. It is a very much overlooked caliber, but an EXCELLENT one. It has range, power and accuracy - who could ask for more. Over the years, I've hunted with 30/06s, 270s, 44s, 308s, a couple of magnums, but I've killed more game, from antelope to bull elk, with the 280. This caliber just can't be beaten, period!

·
Registered
283 Posts
7mm-08 is the only rifle from the list that I do not own. The ballistics are very close to the .270. I would pick 25-06 or .270 from the list. Both are good with the 270 being more flexible on the larger game.

I reload for my 25-06 and do not experience ammo supply issues. Factory ammo can be a challenge to locate however buying online is the best way to get the bullet of choice. You can buy Rem Core Lokt all day long at Walmart but if it doesn't do well in your rifle it does you no justice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Tikka T3 lite in .270 WSM. I could not be happier with the selection. It is an extremely accurate rifle and was reasonably priced. I went with the short mag after doing a lot of research. It has long range capabilities well beyond my own as a shooter. As for the calibers you've listed, they are all great rounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts