Deer Hunting Forums banner

300gr Ballistic Tip Thor's

9K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  frontiergander 
#1 ·
Got some of the new ballistic tip thors in the mail today. These are packaged in 14 qty. Im not sure if Thor is going to repackage in 15 or not but i plan on asking about that.

.500" Thor is what all of my rifles "inlines" take so thats what i got.

Started at only 50 yards to check the scope out and see how they grouped.

100gr BH209 - CCI 209M - CVA Accura.

3 shot group,

See less See more
#3 ·
The heavier bullet provides more knock down energy and is less affected by wind drift.

The way ive always explained it. Whats going to do more damage to a cement wall * Bone/heavy muscle*? A honda civic doing 200mph or a 1970s full size Buick doing 140MPH? Bigger and heavier normally always produces better results. Bullet drop is one of the down sides though.

G
#4 ·
but a light much faster bullet can deliver as much energy. yea wind drift could be an issue but it would have to be a hurricane to cause a 245 gr bullet to drift very far. especially with the relatively short range of a front stuffer

#5 ·
Speed doesnt does mean everything though. A 245gr Powerbelt isnt going to penetrate no where close to what a 250gr Thor would, simply because the Powerbelt is pure lead VS the solid copper. Same with jacketed bullets like the XTP. Lead just has the limits. So when it comes to lead, heavier is better.

G
#6 ·
Speed doesnt does mean everything though. A 245gr Powerbelt isnt going to penetrate no where close to what a 250gr Thor would, simply because the Powerbelt is pure lead VS the solid copper. Same with jacketed bullets like the XTP. Lead just has the limits. So when it comes to lead, heavier is better.
now you're talking differences in bullet construction. that is huge in any bullet but doesn't do much with the weight. i was just wondering if there was something with the ml that might be different with center fire rifles.

i use to think heavier was better but after looking at different ballistic charts and working with load from disc, speed plays a huge role. example in my 7mm mag i was loading 175 gr bullets what i found was that the 160's gave me as much energy out to 300 yards, well over a normal shot's range, because of the fps i picked up. plus it was flatter shooting.

just wondering if the same holds true for muzzle loaders.

#7 ·
When you slow down a bullet you're giving up some shock power in trade for knock down power. Elephant hunting big slow solid bullets, antelope hunting light fast expanding bullets. When you might be talking 100-150 fps gain/loss I don't see where there is much difference especially in a ML. If there is 300-400 fps + - maybe enough to think about. For deer, i'll take speed and a good bullet construction every time. I know there is a math equation that might show the difference. E= V X M I don't know something like that. BB will find the info, he's pretty good source.

#9 ·
i stick with my 250 gr. hornady's and the powerbelts are beloved by my CVA optima mag. nothing impressive. 5 inch groups at 50 yards open sights. good enough for a kill. and again, with a pretty jacked up shoulder, i dont get to shoot it too much. ive had it for 2 years now, and have shot it all of 15 times. magnum loads hurt.

VERY NICE GROUPING...... kudo's man!

#14 ·
Got out to 100 yards today. 100gr Blackhorn209 is the deal.

90gr gave me a 3 1/2" groups - 110gr gave me a 2" group.

My third shot is the highest in the picture, the barrel was really warm to the touch and i believe thats what caused it to walk up. Need more primers again. Damn things never last long.

So far everything looks good. If i get to hunt this year, i will use this set up.

G
#17 ·
safe to say the answer is, yea?

how long a shot?

thats was a 250? hummmmm.

how do they stand up to the higher pressures of the savage shooting smokeless? do they load dry? are they hard to get down the barrel?. the biggest issue with the savage is the plastic residue left in the barrel. it makes it hard to ram the next one home.

#18 ·
the owner of thor bullets shoot them in his savage smokeless with great results. i'd email him for load info.

They can be hard to load if you have a tight bore. I know the .500" is to big for the older model cva's like my Hunterbolt. It dont even fit into the crown.

In my Accura i can push them down the bore snug with my thumb. Hurts like a SOB with the ballistic tip on so i only try that with the hollow points LOL. No lube needed.

That shot was 175 yards with the ballistic tip thor. I am going to test the new 300's in water/ wet sand later on and see how they do with 120gr blackhorn209. Thats gonna hurt!

Thor is working on the Gen II Black Thor thats a one size fits most type of deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.