Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a rifle. Im torn between the 300 wsm and the 30 06. Some people say the wsm round won't be around for a long time. Any input on what you guys think would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't know to whom you have been speaking, but the 300WSM is here to stay. It is flat shooting, hits hard, is accurate and can fit into a nicely compact, short action rifle. It can be considered an ideal caliber for all North American big game. I own one, a Remington Model Seven, and I love it.
Having said that, there hasn't been a caliber introduced in the last 100 years that will replace the '06. I have owned lots of them over the years (45+ years of hunting that is), and I will tell you that there isn't a thing that it can't do, and do well.
But there ARE differences in thes two calibers. Ammo for the '06 is much less expensive and always easier to find. The 300WSM does shoot flatter and hits harder, but does "kiss" your shoulder a little harder too. If you like the shorter actions rifles, (I do because I'm a short guy) with slightly faster handling, and aren't bothered by the increased recoil, you might be drawn to the 300WSM.
Anyway, that's my take on these two fine calibers. If you can't make up your mind, just toss a coin and you will have a GREAT rifle whichever one comes up. If you are considering either of these, you are smart because you simply can't go wrong either way. Good luck and great hunting!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the way ammo prices are going go with the 06

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Its like horses, do you want the fast one or the old reliable one. Each will do the job, but like joel said the 30-06 ammo is cheaper. If you're not hunting out west I can't see where you need more than the 30-06.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Reloading for both, 3006 is cheaper

Which ever way you decide plan on getting into reloading if possible. I was shocked the other day when I worked my gunclubs public hunter sight-in days. The price of loaded ammo is going through the roof. If you don't need the extra 200fps I would recommend the 30-06, you will use about 20% more powder per load in 300wsm if you reload them both.

Karl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.