Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Back in the day, that was THE deer killing gun around here. Not much for long shots, depends on how much you shoot it. I know some guys that can reach out there with that caliber. And there are better calibers for that, but still a good woods gun. I own one also. Winchester lever tho...

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I'm hunting property on the natural gas mainline I use a 7mm Remington. Anytime I'm inside the woodline I will always have my Marlin 336 30/30 with me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
30/30 marlin

I am glad I came across this site,I am getting ready to go hunting for the first time at 48, my son is very eager thanks to my father inlaw (avid hunter) I am looking for a 30/30 marlin so I can start shooting and get to know the rifle. If things go right next year I can be in the woods with my father in law and my son, hopefully this will be something that lasts for many years.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I love mine and the newer hornady ammo is much safer unless you use blunt nose bullets.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I am glad I came across this site,I am getting ready to go hunting for the first time at 48, my son is very eager thanks to my father inlaw (avid hunter) I am looking for a 30/30 marlin so I can start shooting and get to know the rifle. If things go right next year I can be in the woods with my father in law and my son, hopefully this will be something that lasts for many years.
I applaud your willingness to enter into the world of hunting and be able to share those times with friends & family especially your son, those times will soon become priceless, just you wait and see...

Good luck to you and Welcome to the Club.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It doesn't get any more classic than a 30-30. I support your decision to use a 30-30. This caliber is responsible for the demise of more deer than any other caliber with the exception of a 30-06. The whole marketing blitz on magnums for deer hunting over the last decade has taken the 30-30 out of the spotlight.
I sold one almost 30 years ago and wish I didn't. It did buy a .35 rem in 1990 which is why I haven't bought another 30-30. With the on slought of the Hornady LE the 30-30 is a bonifide killing machine at 200-250 yards.
If you feel shots for deer will go beyond that range then I would recomend a good bolt action in a .243-.280 range caliber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rifle choice for boar hunting

HI guys,

An Englishman in France here new to hunting looking for some advice on rifle choice. Interesting to read your dialog but I am still unclear.

I am well into a Marlin 336 but you suggest it isnt upto much after 100 metres?? The French are of the attitude that only the most modern most powerful gun will do but I am more of a romantic.
Isnt the 336 30.30 upto dropping a boar at 150 paces? Should be. Is it the choice of shell that is limiting? (all flatnose if I have understood)

Any info/thoughts much appreciated

H:coffee:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would have no problem shooting a 30-30 on boar at the range you state. If I were buying a new rifle I wouldn't look at a 30-30 for my primary rifle but mostly relegate it for thick close in shooting for deer/boar. I wouldn't suggest it for elk/stag size game.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.