Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt in Illinois so I don't know a lot about rifles. I am thinking about buying a rifle to go out west for elk, mule deer, or bear. What would be a better caliber a 30.06 or the 300 win mag. The 300 seems to be a little faster, but does that come with a lot more recoil? A little kick does not bother me but I want to enjoy shooting it also.With never shooting one how do they compare recoil wise? Any info from someone that has shot these would be helpfull. Also I am thinking about a Browning x bolt. Is this that nice of a gun to get past it being made in japan. I try to buy american made. THANKS

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I don't see a whole lot of difference in recoil just slightly more in the 300 but for out west on elk I'd take the 300 for sure. Browning makes great products.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
a very tough choice, both are excellent caliber choices, the .30-06 has a huge cartridge selection to choose from but the .300 win mag has great bullet covearage also...
I'd probably go with the .300 win mag only because on an extended long range shot you'll want magnum performance when that bullet hits the animal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I own both and I love the 300 win mag.The recoil is that bad and with the proper recoil pad like the Simms it is very comfortable. I believe in more power so that the animal dies quickly and very few blood trail to be followed up on. and to anyone that says that you waste a lot of meat I say not true , if you take a double lung shot with a 300 WM you do not waste anymore than a 1/2 pound of meat wich is the same as any other caliber. I have taken over seven deer and three bull moose with this caliber and have had great luck. I handload and have found many great recipes from 150 grain bullets for deer up to 220 grain bullets for moose.However I prefer the 165 or 168 grain for whitetails.I own a Ruger 77 in left hand it has always performed nicely with out any regrets.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would recommend the 30-06...

Your text sounds like you don't shoot alot. I personally think that practice is more fun with a 30-06 then it is with the .300Win. I don't have the numbers infront of me but I think that you get something in the neiborhood of 25% more recoil with the 300Win. Many agree that the point where shooting starts to hurt is just over the 30-06's recoil energy. Going out West the most important thing is be confortable with your rifle and be able to shoot it well. I personally have gone there twice for Elk and never felt under gunned because I was JUST carrying a 30-06. The new Hornady Superformance ammo in 30-06 will almost give you the same performance as a 300Win if you think you need the extra fps. I know my outfitter told me that he wished hunters could just hit what they are shooting at instead of carrying big magnums. Some hunters think their cannon makes up for marksmanship it doesn't, a bad shot is still a bad shot.

Karl

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Couldnt agree more with karl,most people can handle magnum recoil up to a 7mm magnum.my buddy hunts with a 300 win mag and he doesnt particually enjoy his range time, its a stout round.for ammo cost and bullet selection and recoil benefits i would go with the 30/06.just my 2cents

·
Registered
852 Posts
Others I would choose over the Browning

I don't mean to start a war of words, but I hope that you have looked at the other rifle manufacturers. This is a completely bias list. I would recommend anyone looking for a bolt action to go somewhere like a Cabellas that has these on the shelf and compare them.

In my order of preference

Winchester M70 Featherweight
Ruger M77 Hawkeye
Weatherby Mark 5
Remington M700 Mountain rifle

You may still prefer the Browning, the important thing is to be sure to have compared it to the other choices.

Karl

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here"s a few more i would look at over the browning.Savage 114 or 116.Dead accurate right outta box and better trigger with the accutrigger,Kimber model 8400 closest thing to a custom rifle at a production price,Cooper model 52 well its a cooper,and finally sub moa Weatherby vanguard.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I hunt in Illinois so I don't know a lot about rifles. I am thinking about buying a rifle to go out west for elk, mule deer, or bear. What would be a better caliber a 30.06 or the 300 win mag. The 300 seems to be a little faster, but does that come with a lot more recoil? A little kick does not bother me but I want to enjoy shooting it also.With never shooting one how do they compare recoil wise? Any info from someone that has shot these would be helpfull. Also I am thinking about a Browning x bolt. Is this that nice of a gun to get past it being made in japan. I try to buy american made. THANKS
There's nothing wrong with the venerable 30/06, but for larger animals there's nothing wrong with the .300WM either. I'd suggest upping to a .300 if that's what you're wondering, but I'd also suggest you take a look at the X-Bolt in .300WSM as well. The difference between the '06 and .300WM in an X-bolt is about 4" in OAL. To me, that's significant.

The .300WSM factory loaded will give you ballistics very close if not exactly like it's longer cousin, but it can also do it in a shorter tube, hence Browning's decision to barrel the SM version with a 23" barrel vs a 26" for the longer version.

In short, the OAL and weight of the X-Bolt in .300WSM is the same as the X-Bolt in 30/06 even with a longer barrel (action is shorter). And both are a full 4" shorter and a bit lighter than the .300WM.

Just something you might want to consider. :thumbup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
A short rifle sure is nice...

I have to agree with turner's suggestion about looking at the short mag rifles if you have to have a magnum. If it is woody and there is a lot of brush a long barrelled rifle is a pain in the butt. None of mine have over 22 inches because they aren't magnums but the extra couple of inches for a 300Win mag or 300Weatherby mag would get in the way where I hunt. Several of my 30-06s have shorter then standard 22inch ones and they are handier yet. You give us some velocity but the Deer doesn't notice it.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
A note about availablity of ammo...

If you choose to go the route of a 300WSM, be aware that every little Mom and Pop store that offers the standard calibers will not probibly have any. That is only a problem if you can somethings forget important things and have to scramble to replace them at the last minute. I resemble this remark to often......

Karl

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Have a 300 wsm kimber and love it.Recoil is not bad at all certainly less than the 300 win mag.Shoot 165 federal fusions out of it.Great rifle and round

1 - 15 of 15 Posts