Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new 3-D target. I've had Delta's they last maybe two years but broadheads really tear them up. Same thing on the Block, broadheads just cut up the target up and pretty soon you can almost see through it. I don't know if any of them are very good for broadheads and replacement sections aren't cheap. If you have any suggestions, please?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
was shooting mccenzies? at the youth camp they were pretty sturdy thats all they use they said they had 30-40?.I just snoot a block 4x4 knockoff from wal mart,the wife got me for a birthday gift

G

·
shooting broadheads is tough on the tardets. thats all i practice with as well. i use that bumble bee target and the tree stand buck. if there is something that works better i would like to know as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't understand...why target practice with broadheads?? No target will stand up to getting shot with broadheads. Your bow will not shoot that much different if you target practice with field points as long as they are the same weight...and they are much easier to remove from the target. I always use field points for preseason target practice, and just before opening day I'll shoot a couple broadheads into it just to make sure. I have had the same target for probably more than 10 years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't understand...why target practice with broadheads?? No target will stand up to getting shot with broadheads. Your bow will not shoot that much different if you target practice with field points as long as they are the same weight...and they are much easier to remove from the target. I always use field points for preseason target practice, and just before opening day I'll shoot a couple broadheads into it just to make sure. I have had the same target for probably more than 10 years.
I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH FLEXJ.I HAVE PRACTICED WITH FIELD POINTS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ACCURACY SWITCHING TO BROADHEADS.BUT I USE THE MECHANICAL BROADHEADS.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try to shoot broadheads prior to season opening about 4 weeks. My son & I only shoot broadheads during that time and the targets get destroyed. I do have to slightly change my sights for the switch to broadheads (Muzzy 100). I have not went to the mechanicals yet. Everyone has a comfort zone by which they gage their readiness for competency this just happens to be mine. Whatever works is usually best for the individual. Anyway how bout the Glendel targets, costly but do they last longer?

·
Registered
562 Posts
really?? That's wierd. I have probably shot every kind of broadhead made and never noticed an appreciable difference between them and the same weight field point...certainly not a foot!! There has to be something wierd going on there...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i recently saw an ad for a 3-d target repair kit.ill look around and see if i can find it.otherwise i would suggest some of the spray foam that fills up cracks

G

·
I may have failed to mention thats at 40 yards. grin about 4" a 20. Point being I would never trust any broad head to fly like a field point. Yes I wreck a few arrows but mostly cut up the vanes. When I'm set I have full confidence in where that broad head will go. Just the way I do things to get the confidence I need.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ronn,don't Some Of The 3-blade Broadheads Come With Practice Blades?the Non Sharp Blades?i Have Seen Them Before.
Joel That Spray Foam Just Might Work To Help Fill In The Holes.that Stuff Hardens Pretty Good.maybe To Sto A Broadhead?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys I'm talking an inch at 20 difference, that's enough to re-sight in for me. I can't say I've been fortunate to have field points and broadheads fly exactly the same. I too replace vanes but.... I did try regular spray foam insulation without great results.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts