Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at winchester ballistic chart(on line) i was suprised to see a .270 win. bucks the wind better than heavier 30.06 & .308. Dont heavier bullets blow less? Maybe because its getting there faster?

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, the reason why is because 1. it IS faster, 2. it is a much flatter shooting bullet. I shoot 135 gr. Sierra HPBT match long range (out to 863 yards is the farthest so far), and my buddy shooting a remington 700 BDL custom chambered in .308 has almost 9 inches more drift than i do. its all about the Ballistic Coefficient and load build up... powder, primer, casing, overall length/weight. when shooting that far, EVERYTHING makes a diff.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The wind drift depends a lot on the ballistic coefficient of the bullet that is being used. A light, flat based bullet will have a low B.C. while a heavier, boat-tail bullet will have a high B.C. Velocity and sectional density also come into play. A .270 wont always buck the wind better than a 30-06 or .308.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The wind drift depends a lot on the ballistic coefficient of the bullet that is being used. A light, flat based bullet will have a low B.C. while a heavier, boat-tail bullet will have a high B.C. Velocity and sectional density also come into play. A .270 wont always buck the wind better than a 30-06 or .308.

as we said, ALL factors come into play. B.C, S.D, powder, primers, bullet wieght, wall concentricity, etc. i shoot the 135 gr. Sierra HPBT match for my long range (800+). however, this year i got into the new SST from hornady, and my groupings at just over 800 yards, are slightly larger than my Match rounds. those things are AMAZING!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.