Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a wichester 270 and im having trouble getting grouping better than 3.5 inches at 100yards using 150 grain winchesters and a bushnell banner dawn to dusk scope ,its my first rifle but im shooting shotguns most my life ,thinking of dropping to 130 grain but has anyone any tips or is it a matter of more practise

·
Registered
602 Posts
my winchester M70, loved the lighter loads. 130 gr. also try a couple of different manufactures ammo. My M70 in .270 loves federal fusions. my Ruger in .270 shoots Hornady the best. both in 130 gr.

G

·
shot guns i believe you pull the trigger, with rifles you must squeeze the trigger. there could be all kinds of reasons, bullet choice being only one of them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Suggestions for shooting tighter groups

Here are some ideas for a new rifle shooter to try..
1. Drop down to a 50 yard range if it's available. Just until you get comfortable shooting your rifle. If they aren't almost touching at 50 why go to 100 yards.
2. Use sand bags from the bench to stabilize the rifle. If your cross hairs are moving your groups are going to be staying over 3 inches at 100 yards.
3. Limit yourself to 20 rifle shots per a visit to the range. Bring your shotgun along and shoot a round of skeet/trap after shooting the 20 through the rifle.
4. Verify everything is tight with your scope rings and mounts.
5. Have a friend that won't give you to much grief shoot your rifle if the group size doesn't shrink. Just be ready to be beat with your own rifle.
6. Your rifle or scope could have mechanical issues that will keep it from shooting real small groups even after you address the above issues. Your crown on the barrel could be bad, rifle's bore could be rough, scope could be loose on the inside or allow the cross hairs to drift.
7. Relax, keep telling yourself that this all about having fun. Alot of deer have been killed by shooters that couldn't shoot better then 3 inches at 100 yards.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Great suggestions KL!!!

But I do have a question about groupings with a rifle of mine.

Have a 6mm Remington with a 4 rd drop magazine. After getting sights adjusted at ~ 50 yds, I move to the 100 yrd range.

Out of the 4 round clip, 3 rds will be close (within 1 1/2 inches) but one of the rounds would go high, about 4 or 5 inches high. Don't ask which round of the 4 went high. I repeated this through 3 different magazines. 3 rounds close, 1 high.

Anyone have any suggestions besides stopping at 3 rounds? <grin>
(Proved it drops deer with 1 round during the past season.)

G

·
Great suggestions KL!!!

But I do have a question about groupings with a rifle of mine.

Have a 6mm Remington with a 4 rd drop magazine. After getting sights adjusted at ~ 50 yds, I move to the 100 yrd range.

Out of the 4 round clip, 3 rds will be close (within 1 1/2 inches) but one of the rounds would go high, about 4 or 5 inches high. Don't ask which round of the 4 went high. I repeated this through 3 different magazines. 3 rounds close, 1 high.

Anyone have any suggestions besides stopping at 3 rounds? <grin>
(Proved it drops deer with 1 round during the past season.)
try after shooting one round get up and walk around, waiting to shoot again before the next. do this for every round in the mag. if you are shooting one after the other the heat may be messing with the last shot.
:unsure:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, Ronn. I do tend to head for the range in late summer to early fall, which is typically during the warmest months of the year around here. The longer wait between rounds would allow the barrel to cool some before the next round goes through.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I start with a large cardboard back board 30 x 30 and start at 25 yds. I shoot two then adjust, shoot two and let the gun set. Move to 50 yds and shoot two make any adjustments and fire 1 more. Move to 100 yds and shoot two, make any final adjustments, let the barrel cool and then shoot two for final sight-in. I am always concentrating on grouping the holes and making adjustments from the two shot group. I like front sand bags and solid bench to shoot from.Generally for PA deer hunting I set the final shot group about 1.5"high.

G

·
Thanks for the suggestion, Ronn. I do tend to head for the range in late summer to early fall, which is typically during the warmest months of the year around here. The longer wait between rounds would allow the barrel to cool some before the next round goes through.
i think the 6mm is a fairly hot round and if the barrel is light the shots may be warming it up to much. heat from the air shouldn't mess with the barrel but it will change the burn rate of the cartridge but that shouldn't change at one sitting.

·
Registered
181 Posts
remove the bolt and stand it upright for five minutes , this should help it cool quickly. Remember that sighting in in warm weather will change the point of impact slightly in cold weather. I some times bring a flexible ice pack and run it up and down the barrel in the summer to cool the barrel if I don't have a lot of time. The 6mm is very close to the 22-250 in pressures and is a great long range varmit gun , but I would use it on deer if the right shot presented itself. I know from reading previous posts that some people do not agree but thats ok with me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi mack and welcome to the site.
You don't mention what kind of Winchester you have so can we assume it is a Model 70?
daddus1

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mack,
Karl has some great suggestions, there is a lot of difference between shotgun and rifle just take your time and don't overwhelm yourself. It will come along.
daddus1
I know it will because if I learned to shoot ANYONE can. lol at myself

·
Registered
824 Posts
remove the bolt and stand it upright for five minutes , this should help it cool quickly. Remember that sighting in in warm weather will change the point of impact slightly in cold weather. I some times bring a flexible ice pack and run it up and down the barrel in the summer to cool the barrel if I don't have a lot of time. The 6mm is very close to the 22-250 in pressures and is a great long range varmit gun , but I would use it on deer if the right shot presented itself. I know from reading previous posts that some people do not agree but thats ok with me.
The 22-250 has dropped many a deer here in Texas, regardless what others may think about it being "big" enough for hunting big(ger) game. I used 6mm Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt with great success this year. 2 rounds = 2 deer in the freezer. Yes, the shots presented themselves nicely.

Thank you for the suggestion about removing the bolt while walking around. It's something I really hadn't thought about. The ice??? That would be for running over my forehead, if/when I'm (stupid enough to be) out there in Aug or Sep again.

I guess it's all about taking your time when out on the range, and not trying to get in a hurry between shots. Will have to remember all of these great tips when heading back to the range. (or maybe I'd better just write them down now and stuff them in my ammo box, I suffer terribly from that CRS disease, you know . . . . . . . . Can't Remember Shhtuff.):yes: :coffee:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea a model 70 ,and thanks for all advice it was a matter of squeezing the trigger ,i was flinching too much , have it cracked now and flattened my first sika deer yesterday evening

G

·
yea a model 70 ,and thanks for all advice it was a matter of squeezing the trigger ,i was flinching too much , have it cracked now and flattened my first sika deer yesterday evening
a guy i know was having a small issue with the group not being as tight as he would have liked. the gun was pretty new to him if i remember right. anyway i said let me chamber the rounds. so i put in a live one and the next, without him knowing, i put in a spent casing. that showed where the issue was. after that cutting dimes. oh i failed to mention it was a 300 win mag.

G

·
for true or not?

i can tell when i'm squeezing the trigger on that 338 win mag at the bench cause i'm usually bleeding from the brow, nose, or somewhere.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Try a .22 rimfire for fun

I just was reading about the fun bleeding behind magnums and I had another thought. We are talking about shooting tight groups and relaxing behind our rifles. The easiest way to relax and have fun is behind a 22 rimfire rifle. With the total lack of recoil, shooting at either 25 or 50 yards is just a matter of watching the crosshairs as we lightly press on the trigger. I think all of us would benefit from more time behind a scoped 22 rimfire rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts