Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw this out there and see what kind of response i get...I have a Browning BAR .270 gas operated rifle. I have a 12 yo boy that is abot 5ft 85 lbs or so. Do yall think he would be able to shoot the .270 without it scaring the daylights out of him? I have 130gr shells and i have looked for the managed recoil rounds but with no avail. Hes a relatively experienced shooter with a .22, M-4 .223, and .410. I normally shoot a bolt action 30-06 synthetic stock and I'd say the 06 has considerably more recoil than the BAR .270. Ive never shot a .243 and really dont want to purchase one seeing how i already own a .270 and 30-06. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My youngest son started shooting a 270 when he was 10, BUT I put together an Encore with a heavy varmint contour custom shop barrel and added a Limbsaver pad to the stock. Basically, it recoils like a warmly loaded 243.

As far as the BAR, I am not really familiar with them, but with the "right" gun, a 270 should be doable for a kid that size.

·
Registered
602 Posts
just throwing this out there, have never used these rounds. how are they reducing the recoil-- less powder??? if so, will it be enough gas to cycle a BAR?? just aking???

R

·
0 Posts
Not a 24/47, because

Not a 24/47, because look at the reveicer ring.I'm tentatively guessing a later Spanish 1916, but that's just spitballing based on the "small-ring" action bent bolt handle and rifle-length tangent rear sight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would say a 270 is going to kick the crap out of him. Have him stick with the .223 for another year or 2 will he hits his spurt and tops 100.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
just throwing this out there, have never used these rounds. how are they reducing the recoil-- less powder??? if so, will it be enough gas to cycle a BAR?? just aking???
i see that it is a 115 grain bullet, and would assume that due to less bullet waight that it needs a little less powder to obtaine the desired velocety. less bullet waight + less powder = less recoil. as for not having enuff gasses to cycle the bolt. i have only seen that happen with .22 long rilfle shot shells. not saying that it could not happen with these rounds, im just saying i doubt it will be a problem.

R

·
0 Posts
its a tough call. if its too much for him it can discourage him from the shooting sports or lead to bad shooting habits. I'd spring for the 243. the 243 makes for a better varmint round anyway. you don't need a 270 for coyotes or woodchucks (ground hogs or whistle pigs for you southern folk). you can get a savage or the like for very reasonable money. besides you can't have too many guns. just my opinion

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife said the .270 kicked too hard for her and she is a lot bigger than 85 pounds.

I shot my first 12 gauge at 12. Single shot that kicked like a mule. After that I have never had a problem shooting anything. Started hunting with my 30-06 auto at 15 and never looked back. The recoil of a .270 is about 7x that of a .223 according to
http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

A broke clavicle from not buring the gun in your shoulder is no joke.

I spoke to a lady in the office that uses managed recoil and she has seen it work in some autos but not others. Best bet is to try it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. heres an update. The low recoil rounds will NOT work in the BAR. At least not in mine anyways. Apparently doesnt have enough pressure to cycle the rounds. The only way they'll work is to take the clip out and shoot it like a single shot. Even then it wont eject the round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New update.. got a limbsaver recoil pad, held my breath and crossed my fingers and let my son shoot it. To my amazement, he said his .410 kicked harder. He shot it 8 times without a problem and was accurate with it. The BAR is awesome. I got the gun after my father died and he was the last one to kill a deer with it. I really wanted my son to be the next one to kill a deer with it. Kind of a sentimental thing i guess but i didnt want to hurt him either. Going hunting this weekend for youth season. Hope he gets his first deer with Grandpa's rifle!

R

·
0 Posts
So far there has onl

So far there has only been one caliber of ammo that has taken every large game on this plneat at one time or another- from Elephant to Polar Bear, and everything else. That caliber has been the Arrow. There is no land animal on this plneat that has not been killed by a bow and arrow at one time or another. Just some food for thought. Let the thumbs down begin!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok. heres an update. The low recoil rounds will NOT work in the BAR. At least not in mine anyways. Apparently doesnt have enough pressure to cycle the rounds. The only way they'll work is to take the clip out and shoot it like a single shot. Even then it wont eject the round.
just had an idea--- have seen the old browing auto shot guns not kick the low brass shells. my buddy's wouldn't. took it to a gunsmith, who totally diassembled and cleaned it. replaced one of the springs, and works just fine, now. if i remember right you said that it is an old BAR. might be worth checking into.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Those Limbsavers are great pads. I have them on all my rifles. My only concern at this point is that the BAR is a pretty heavy rifle compared to some of the others out there. Will that be a problem for an 85 pound youngster? Proportionately, that would be like me carrying a 14 or 15 pound rifle. (You could do the math and figure out how much I weigh.LOL)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True. It really is too heavy for him. When he shot it yesterday, he was sitting in the bed of the pickup using the bed sides as a rest. As long as he has a rest to prop it up on, which our stand does, he'll do fine. He was shooting within 1/2 inch from center at 140 yds with it. He was very confident with it and not flinchy at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts