Deer Hunting Forums banner

270? 130-150 grain

17K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Rozman62 
#1 ·
im having trouble deciding what grain ammo i want to shoot in my 270 this year for deer hunting ive never shot the gun so dont know what to shoot out of it. recomendations would be nice thanx guys.

#2 ·
I hunt with a .270 and I always go with the 130 Grain. it has great stopping power with super long range accuracy.
The 150 grain works just as well but drops quicker than the 130 on long range shots. that's pretty much the only difference really.

#5 ·
I have taken a semi truck load of deer with 130 grain corlocks out to 400 yards plenty of stoping power

#8 ·
I have shot both at the range. And I haven't seen a difference in them. I actually sighted in at 100 yds with 130gr. Cor loct. And I dropped my rifle. And shot 150gr cor loct. And I was still dead on. So how far out would you have to be to notice the drop due to bullet weight?

#9 ·
based on the following Remington Long Range Trajectory chart after 200 yards
you can see how the 150 grain begins to fall compared to the 130 grain.
ZERO indicates the yardage the rifle was sighted in at in this example it's 200 yards.

Cartridge Type............Bullet..............100.....150..200....250..300...400...500 yards
Remington® Express®..130..PSP.CL..1.5...1.4...zero...-2.8..-7.0..-20.9..-43.3
Remington® Express®..150..SP.CL ...2.0...1.8...zero...-3.6..-9.4..-28.6..-61.2

G
#11 ·
for grins and giggles, bruce, do you have the fps and energy differences at those ranges as well. my guess is the energy drops of faster at the longer distances with the lighter bullet. not looking to disagree or anything just think it would be interesting for those who are newer to hunting/shooting. i had the same deal with 175 gr and 160 gr out of my 7mm mag. and for realistic hunting range the 160's were a better choice.

#15 ·
for grins and giggles, bruce, do you have the fps and energy differences at those ranges as well. my guess is the energy drops of faster at the longer distances with the lighter bullet.
It's a real pain trying to align the ballistic table on here but here's the link to the Full Comparison.
But no the Energy (ft-lbs.) drops faster on the heavier 150 grain vs. the 130 so it turns out that the 130 grain retains velocity & energy much better..

Remington Ballistics Information on the .130 grain vs. the 150 grain Bullets

G
#13 ·
what i found with my 7 mm mag was because the lighter bullet was much faster at less than 300 yards it was almost the same energy. it wasn't till you stretched it out there to 4 and 5 hundred that the heavy bullet took the upper hand in more ways than one and thats just not a shot I was willing to take. 10 yards either side of 500 makes a pretty big difference in drop. I was working a load up for a moose hunt.

#18 ·
I have a novel idea! Try both and see which shoots MOST ACCURATELY out of YOUR gun.

That being said, I have killed well over 100 head of game with a 270, and my old Ruger has always shot 150 gr bullets better and is what I have always shot. My son's Encore 270, on the other hand, shoots 140 gr Accubonds into one hole at 100 yards, and in his 5 years of hunting with it, he has amassed quite body count using them.

#19 ·
when i first started hunting georgia, i was shooting 150 gr cor-locks. too big of exit wounds. could fit both of my fists in it. changed to 130 gr. then switched ammo altogether and went with 140 gr winchester fail-safes. worked real well on deer and hogs. now shoot the Hornady 130 gr SST. am very happy with the results on deer and them big, nasty boar hogs down here in Fl.

#20 ·
270 Winchester 130 gr. Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip®

That's what I shoot. All of them will do the job.

Yards Drop
100 1.4
200 0
300 -6.5
400 -18.9
500 -38.4

Granted I have never had the need to shoot one farther than 80 yards with the this gun. So the cheapest 150 grain corelock would be just as deadly

#22 ·
My 2 cents...I was shooting a 150 grain core-lokt out of my Savage .270 but could never get a grouping as tight as I wanted. I switched this year to a Federal premium 130 gr. Sierra and it has made a big difference in my groupings. I vote 130 gr. but your rifle may not like it like mine did.

#24 ·
The only rifle i ever use is a 270. I shoot with Winchester AccuBond 140gr bonded. I was out the first week in january and had a beautiful doe about 400yds out. I was zeroed at 100yds and only aimed about 6in. about the heart on her. one shot dropped her about 50ft from where i shot her. the AccuBond 140gr is designed to drop them on impact and does a hell of a job...and thats at 400yds. anyways all the advice on here though from everyone is usually accurate and from everyones personal experience. the best way to find out what works best for you is to try out everyones ideas and implement your own personal touch. good luck hunting.

#25 ·
Just thinking about it...

I have seen a LOT of deer and elk fall to a .270, mostly mule deer in Utah and Montana. I do not recall any of the hunters ever using anything other than 130 grain CoreLokts, with very good success.

I have shot .270's a lot but never hunted with one.

#27 ·
Sound advise above. The 130gr bullets has become married to the .270. I have tried various load workups and my best accuracy is with Rem Core Lokt-130gr over H4831-57g. I shoot a Rem 7600 pump and many users swear by the std Rem Core Lokt bullet. Keep the velocity under 2,900 FPS and the bullet should hold up well. I want to give 140 Accubonds and ballistic tips a try this year.

#30 ·
I love the ballistic tip bullet. but just FYI, they're a few of the larger hunting ranches here in Texas that will not let a hunter hunt with the ballistic tip ammo. Their reasoning is that on shots that are realtivley close, the bullet is still travelling to fast and the bullet explodes on impact and does not achieve the penetration needed to harvest the animal cleanly.......I do not know if it is true or not, but I DO KNOW that some ranches have outlawed them.......again just FYI

Sound advise above. The 130gr bullets has become married to the .270. I have tried various load workups and my best accuracy is with Rem Core Lokt-130gr over H4831-57g. I shoot a Rem 7600 pump and many users swear by the std Rem Core Lokt bullet. Keep the velocity under 2,900 FPS and the bullet should hold up well. I want to give 140 Accubonds and ballistic tips a try this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.