Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some info on this gun. Is it worth buying? I've been reading up on it and it seems to be a good gun for deer hunting and thats pretty much all I'll be using it for. Looking for some advice from someone that has fired a .257 Weatherby.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not shot this caliber. I have reloaded and shot the 25-06, but I personally have not used it for deer. Some feel they lose too much meat from a 25-06 if the deer is closer than 100 yards. A 257 Wby Mag has even a higher velocity than a 25-06. However, I can say the reloads in 25-06 I did for a person performed very well on deer (bucks and does). Several deer have been taken by this person with their 25-06, and all have been one shot kills with some spectacular results.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I just read an article this week where gun dealers in the open southwest states are selling out their inventories of the 257wm. Resurgence of another Roy Weatherby bullet. The most popular stock is the vanguard with synthetic stocks per the story. I believe its in the Dec G&A mag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think im pretty much set on getting this gun. Not sure what model to get it in though, was thinking about the Remington Model 700 CDL SF. Would like to read that G & A mag, I might have a friend who has it.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The classic in walnut looks very nice. I have some Mark V's in 270wm that kick like mules. I would like to hear from shooters how the 257 wm feels in the kick department.

G

·
cool. i think thats the first time i've seen any one other than weatherby produce a rifle in a weatherby chambering. might be something pretty nice. let me/us know how you like it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A friend very versed in firearms and reloading told me that if you shoot alot stay away from the .257. He said the rifling can get shot out alot easier on a .257 due to the length of rifle twist that is being used. I have never heard this before and cannot confirm the validity. I am not trying to discourage you in making your decision. I would opt for the .25-06 myself. The ammo is more mainstream and far less expensive. If Marlin would ever start volume producing the XL7 in .25-06 you just might save yourself $75. This is my next gun. I am on multiple waiting lists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In 1988 my uncle mounted a .257 wm barrel on an old 8mm mauser action and it was probably the most accurate rifle I ever saw. I remember that the rounds were pretty expensive though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My father bought the weatherby vangaurd chambered in the 257 and really loves it.he's a reloader and found a good load for it.i know he uses the barnes x triple shock in 100gr.he shoots 200yrds plus on a regular basis with sub-moa.but he paid alittle more for the sub-moa barrel and it was worth every penny more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
257 wby

Use to have 257 WBY.. but.....ammo cost to much.....brass cost too much......use too much powder.......barrel life is short ........not worth 200FPS to 300 FPS over the 25-06 or 25 WSSM.

Suggest the 25 WSSM...........

Or get a Encore Pro Hunter with the 28" Barrel in 25-06 you can get very close to the same Vel as the 257 WBy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts