Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first season deer hunting here in CA.
My father in law passed on his dads deer rifle which is a .225 winchester. Is that gun a large enough caliber to take a deer? I have been told 30-06 or nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated as season starts here soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I guess I start things off for you. First you have a real nice rifle in the model 70. The 225 is really designed for varmints as it shoots a 5o-60 gr bullet at 3500 fps. Can it kill a deer the simple answer is yes, is it something most would use for deer hunting nope. Brass for this round I believe has been discontinued for some time now, so you need to either locate used brass to reload and also purchase everything you come across already loaded. I love the past/forgotten rifles and in obsolete calibers and you have a rare one that's become nearly extinct. Glad it's been handed down through the family! I'd invest in a more powerful caliber for deer hunting starting with 243, 300 sav, 270 win, 308, 30-06 280 rem. ect you know all the more traditional ones. Don't ever sell your 225, if however, something ever comes up let me know! Good hunting to you!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Savage .30/30??? -- Cool -- What model? You've got my curiosity up now. My father-in-law has a Savage 99, but in .300 Savage. Don't let the fact that it's a lever action fool you. You might just want to check that caliber again. If it's a Savage Model 99, it could be any one of a number of calibers.

For lever action (I have a Marlin 336 in.30/30) I highly recommend using Hornady LeverRevolution rounds. They have the performance of a .270 for the ability to "reach out" with great stopping power. For anything less than 200-250 yards, the .30/30 would be all that you need.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
and a Parker sxs, I'd call it the jackpot, then add the 30-30, Christmas comes early! That Parker may have some serious value. I've got an up-dated value book if you want to pm me on the model guage condition ect and I'll give you a current value.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts