Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just Purchased A Barrel In 25-06 For My Tc Encore.i Will Be Using It For Deer Only.what Grain Bullet Should I Use?i Was Leaning On The 100-120.any Suggestions Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I Just Purchased A Barrel In 25-06 For My Tc Encore.i Will Be Using It For Deer Only.what Grain Bullet Should I Use?i Was Leaning On The 100-120.any Suggestions Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
I think either one of those would be fine, but I'd probably go with the 120 that has bullets that are designed for medium game, like deer. Do you handload or use commercial bullets?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Onehorse,i Do All My Own Handloading.i Checked Out A Few Different Loads For It.i Allways Start At The Starting Load.should I Use A Premium Bullet Like A Partition?

·
Registered
798 Posts
WT Fever,
If you are a handloader you are in a whole different realm of possibilities. I've had great luck with Nosler Ballistics Tips on deer. It really kills them. I'd stay away from partitions if you're just hunting deer. I shot a small buck with a borrowed .260 Rem that had partition handloads. It went through and the deer ran for a couple of hundred yards before it went down. That bullet wasn't made to expand quickly enough in a deer size animal. If you have an Encore, you proabaly have a 24 inch or longer barrel. If I were handloading for that gun, I'd take advantage of the speed that you can get with that caliber and a long barrel, and I'd try the new Barnes TTSX bullets in a 100 grainer. I'm guessing you should easily be able to work up a load that's way in excess of 3,000 FPS. That bullet will expand quickly, won't break up no matter how fast it's going and deliver an tremendous amount of shock as it goes right through. I'm trying them this year for all my hunting (antelope, deer, elk). I know a hunter who's had great performance with it. I'm planning on using a 110 grain in my .270WSM and may go as "light" as a 130 gr. for my .300WSM.

·
Registered
798 Posts
will those just punch a hole through or they a softer copper than the old barnes X?

Ronn, I believe the only difference is that they are tipped like the Ballistric Tip, which makes them expand faster. But they don't break up.
I used to be a believer in having the bullet stop in the animal so all the energy would effect the critter, so I wasn't too interested in bullets that went all the way through. I'm changing my position on this. It seems like bullets that can exit the muzzle at around 3500 FPS AND not break up on impact deliver all but a couple of ft/lb of energy and impart devastating shock. I'm so sold on the idea that, as I said earlier, I'm planning on doing all my hunting with them next season. I'm basing this on articles in magazines, and recommendations from hunting friends who have had great success with it. One who was always a believer in big heavy bullets, is now going to faster lighter Barnes. This guy's son shot a cow elk with a 130 grainer in a .308 - went right through, cow took a couple of steps, end of story.

G

·
huh? interesting. I always believed the same, you don't want an exit. what I figured out is that the way a bullet expands has everything to do with MV, density of target, and distance which is again, velocity, oh and bullet construction. So bullets that expand well at distance will hole in hole out at close range and a bullet that performs well at close range doesn't at distance. I always had reservations about ballistic tips because of the fragmenting thing. I guess I kinda gave up and just went with the soft point boattail cause they would go where I wanted them to. I'd love to hear the results you come up with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ron,
My experience with bullets of different construction: bullets that are made for long range expansion are made to expand at slower velocities, so when they hit at short ranges (when they're still zipping along) they tend to separate jacket from core, etc. they don't hole in hole out. They're not the best for heavy game at any range. Bullets that are made for deep penetration (partitions) will go right through deer size animals at shorter ranges, but are great on elk size animals at any range. The Barnes TTSX is supposed to be the best of both world's. Expands well at any range AND penetrates without breaking up. Sounds too good to be true? Maybe. I can't tell you from my own experience, but I'm confident enough to give it a try. Of course, I'll let you know what happens... if I get some shooting, that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts