Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just trying to get some input. i want to have a .22lr tack driver. i got basically 4 options to achieve this.
1. i have an old sears .22lr bolt action. real sweet shooter, but the sights are primitive at best. the top of the gun has these grooves in it for mounting a scope. the down side. the way the bolt is i would ether have to have the scope pushed forward, or sitting very high off the barrel.

2. get a .22lr conversion kit for my AR-15. down side to this would be that my AR is set up for QCB, so i would have to find a way to have multiple scope options for the same gun. plus the kit cost $220.

3. get a dedicated .22lr upper for my AR. this would be the most expensive option at $300 but would offer me the ability to make very quick changes. down side is for that price i could buy a whole new gun.

4. buy a new 10/22. cost $230 ish. have whole new gun.

Any option but #1 will result in the old sears gun getting all lubed up and put in the back of my safe. i have all but ruled out option 2. and am leaning to 1. or 4. what do you guys think?

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
that is a tough decision but I think I would go with 4, that way the only thing that changes is, having access to more weapons. :biggrin:

·
Registered
820 Posts
A conversion kit for your AR wont be the way to go, the barrel has the wrong twist rate for 22lr. You'll get probably 2" accuracy at 50 yards, good enough for plinking.

An out of the box 10/22 will be no where near "tack driving" accurate, rebarrel it and it probably will be though.

If I was you, I'd buy a CZ 452 American and scope it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most the AR conversions are junk. spend alittle more just get a new rifle.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is not a tack driver without extensive work.If you want a tack driver Cz 452,savage m2bv.You'll need to add a quality scope.I own the savage and its amazingly accurate and i also heard nothing but good things about the cz rimfires.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my uncle hooked me up with a real good gun smith. i now have a real nice scope sitting on the old bolt action .22. Zeroed it today. 60 yards, standing shooting, rested on my truck. 3 shots touching each other 1/2" above bulls eye. looks like option 1 was the way to go, just not at the gun shop that told me it could not be done.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
HuntHM
would go with #4 you can find a 10/22 cheaper then that also.
I picked up a brand new one a couple months ago for $175
& yes it is a tack driver with a decent scope taking out .22 casings at 70 yards is good enough for me

·
Registered
986 Posts
my uncle hooked me up with a real good gun smith. i now have a real nice scope sitting on the old bolt action .22. Zeroed it today. 60 yards, standing shooting, rested on my truck. 3 shots touching each other 1/2" above bulls eye. looks like option 1 was the way to go, just not at the gun shop that told me it could not be done.
its not that it could NOT be done they just wanted to sell you a new rifle or one of them high dollar converision kits that you would have hated.Sounds like you did the best thing.Bolt action much better than semi auto for percision.That old 22 will make you proud

·
Registered
76 Posts
i got a 10/22 and out of the box with open sights at 25 yds i could hit the bottom of a soda can with the scope and a couple hundred rounds of sighting it in im shooting gophers at 100 yds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.