Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey thanks alot for the help. i was wondering what will be a better rifle a .243 or a .223 for whitetail deer

·
Registered
28 Posts
That seems like a question that answers itself.

They are so similar: small, fast moving bullets that are best suited for open areas, that it just makes sense to use the .243. Bigger bullet, a little more power.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have always considered the 243 to be minimum for deer hunting.. are you sure you couldent bump it up to a 270 or 30-06? you would have a lot of versitality for larger animals as well, and deer would drop faster.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm with all the others that posted before me, the .243 is the best choice here..

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first rifle was a Savage 110 .243

I loved this rifle and would still be hunting with it, had it not been lost / stolen a few years back.

That being said, I see no reason to buy another one. I find my 30-06 just as easy to shoot, and I'm getting a lot more power (and versatility).

If you're looking for a good round with light recoil, consider the 7mm-08.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 1st kill was with a .243 n it killed it dead. i bought a .223 and asked the same question and someone said you CAN kill with a .223 if u have a heavier grain bullet like a 65 or 70gr but where i come from the highest you can get off the shelf is a 55gr. but a .243 works good

·
Registered
1 Posts
.223 or 243?

Well, like other members have said, a .243 would be better, but even a bigger caliber won't make a difference with poor bullet placement. I'm not a crack-shot by any standard, but I can hit where I intend to. I use a Smith & Wesson .222 bolt action often while deer hunting. My first whitetail was shot with that gun from about 75 yards. One shot and he ran about 100 yds and died. BUT back to the original question, yes, buy a .243 or go bigger and get a .308 or .270. A good caliber that packs enough wallop combined with good shooting will always bring down your game.:boxing:

·
Registered
87 Posts
243 between these two choices.I took a 3 year old spike the first week of this season with my daughters Rem 600 243 with 90grn corelocts.He went about 50yds luckily cause 50 more and he would have been in the middle of a thicket.This is the fourth straight year I have taken a deer with her rifle.It is the Mohawk and there is no better for carrying in the woods for me.For longer range hunting I use my 30-06.I would concider a 270 if I were you and your large enough to shoot one comfortably.Little more velocity and knockdown power.Good luck either way.
Rock

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
No doubt between the two 243! However, if you're recoil sensitive, you might want to look at the Rem 260 cal. It will shoot a 140gr bullet for deer very well at good speeds. The kick is very much like the 243. In the recoil department the 30-06 is about 1-1/2 times greater felt recoil than either the 243 or the 260. Remember I said felt recoil, I know someone will pull the stats on lbs of actual recoil. I think my Weatherby's pound the worse of anything I've ever shot, including 12 ga 3-1/2" heavy goose loads. When an deer is hit in the right place, there's no difference between a 243, 30-30,30-06 ect ect. this is just fact. I hope that i don't hear that old line about a 30-06 can go through brush better that a smaller bullet. The best rifle is the one that shoots straight, you have high confidence in it, and is legal to use. This allows in a whole bunch of rifles suited to their owners.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I Would Also Use The 243 For Deer.but If Your Not Recoil Shy Then I Would Say 270 Or Larger Would Be The Way To Go.i Look At It This Way Someone Will Lose A Good Deer Do To A Bad Placed Shot And To Me Shooting The Heavier Cals My Chances Are Greater.example:last Day Of The Season No Deer Down And Spent Many Hours On Stand Big 160-170 Class 150yrds Away Just Don't Give You That Perfect Shot And All You Can Shoot Is A Shoulder Shot And All You Have Is A 243 Well See Ya Next Year.thats Why I Shoot 30cal.i'm The Type Of Person That Don't Need To Have (the Perfect Shot)but I Won't Shoot It The Rearend Or Gutshot Unless I Can Get The Bullet Into The Vitals Someway Somehow.just My Opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used a Mohawk 600 .243 for years and it never let me down. Deer will usually run 50-100yds but an easy track. Great caliber. Very popular Whitetail caliber in Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts