Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on in quite awhile so I thought that I would share a couple of my bucks I have gotten in the last 2 seasons.
The first one scored 127 and was killed on October 29, 2010 on public land in north central Arkansas with a crossbow. The second one was killed on October 30, 2011, also on public land with a muzzle loader.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ladyhunter, great deer, all of them. The first one with you and him in the pickup is only 127"?? If so, wow, I would've guessed much higher. Anyway, looks like you are showin' up the guys!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ladyhunter, great deer, all of them. The first one with you and him in the pickup is only 127"?? If so, wow, I would've guessed much higher. Anyway, looks like you are showin' up the guys!!!
Thanks.
That was the score I got from my taxidermist. I am going to contact the B&C scorer in our area and have it scored. I have been told by several people that he should score higher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks waggle. My taxidermist told me that he would only go 110, but I knew better than that. When I took him to be mounted, the 60 days was up. Deductions are only about 3 or 4 inches. His bases are 4 4/8 and 5, spread is 15 4/8. Mass is good throughout the length of the antlers. Like I said, many have told me to have him re scored. I am planning on it so I can get him in the state record book. Since it was a crossbow kill that is the only book to get him in.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ladyhunter, sometimes pictures can be a little deceiving, but the pics you have are really nice and clear and close up, and when it comes to 8 pointers it REALLY takes alot of antler to get a decent score for the simple reason that they are only 8 pointers. But even so, and maybe I'm wrong, but I really think he goes a little better than 127. You should measure him yourself, it's really easy to score a typical, go to the B&C website and they give you a diagram to follow and step by step measuring. Once you familiarize yourself with the procedure you can measure him in about 5 minutes. Seriously, it is really that simple. But I do understand that you want him scored officially for entry into the Arkansas state records. Good luck, hope he gets recognized in the book, as well as you too!! Once again, GREAT JOB killing 2 fine deer!!

Tom L

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for sure 130"-140", 110" he must have been high on his shop fumes. :shocking:
He must have been. Even I knew it would score higher than 110.
I will have to find something to measure with. Since I don't have metal tape. I will head over to B&C as soon as I find a measuring tool and see what I get.Thanks Tom for the suggestion.

·
Registered
430 Posts
One last sidenote of help, I don't want to be bothersome, but when you look at the directions for measuring, you will see at first "other" measurements they take, like tip to tip spread, etc. Those have nothing to do with your score, the official measurers record those I think for more info about the antler size. There are only 4 categories of measurements for score as follows:
1. Greatest INSIDE SPREAD
2. Lenght of each main beam
3. Lenght of each point(G1,G2,G3)both sides
4. Circumference of main beam between each set of points(between burr and browtine(G1), between brow tine and G2, between G2 and G3, and then halfway between G3 and tip of main beam.
That's it, then add 'em up!!
When I measure 'em I don't bother with deductions, I figure if that bone is on his head it counts. Of course the official measure will have deductions. I never agreed with that. I guess they forgot to invite me to the meeting when they made the rules. Anyway, I hope this will help clear up any initial confusion for you.
Tom L

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips. I will see what he scores just as soon as the gun season ends this week. I will let you all know what II come up with.

·
Registered
986 Posts
yea,I have to say 127 is low.with the mass at the base and length of tines he should be upper 130s to 140.should not be much deductions on that rack. IMO, very nice buck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks delbert and helbilly.
I didn't know they were as big as they were until after I tracked them. Once I see there are 3 point on one side, I don't focus on the rack. I focus on making a good shot. I have been told by many that I should not have made the neck shot on the big eight with a crossbow, but I was confident in my ability to make the shot and after him coming in 3 times, with him standing no more than 15 yards in front of me, I knew that I wouldn't get another chance. He ran 80 yards down in a ravine. It took me an hour and a half to drag him back up to where we could get him in the truck.
The other was with a .50 cal muzzle loader at about the same yardage only he was walking a trail to the left of me.
I never take a shot that I don't feel comfortable with.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
2 very nice Bucks. I love the before and after pics also..:thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Don't mean to make you guys jealous....:yes::lol:
I may take the big one to the Arkansas Big Buck Classic in January and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.