Deer Hunting Forums banner

what should i plant in my food plot ?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  NavalDiplomat 
#1 ·
i live in the foothills of nc and i am looking to make a few food plots this year what should i plant? and some tips on planting it ?

#5 ·
If you're going to have a small food plot (1/2 acre or less) I'd suggest just buying one of those seed bags at any hunting outfit and going that route. If you have a larger area you might want to try something else. You also need to think about when you are wanting the deer to "eat" the food you plant. I've always had good luck with clover here in Missouri- especially for early season bow hunting (Sept-late Oct). They tear it up and absolutely love it. Also, soybeans in the summer and very early fall. Deer love those (not the beans, but the plants). Now, with soybeans, once they start drying out, deer will leave them alone until winter/late winter. They will come back to them and eat them when they are fully ready to be harvested. If you are wanting a food source for late season hunting, corn may be a good way to go as well.
Deer absolutely love turnips. You could do a clover/turnip mixture. Clover is always my go-to because it lasts the longest and keeps growing even during those fall months. That's just my 2 cents- let me know if you have any questions about what I said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.