Deer Hunting Forums banner

reduced loads

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Thought I'd pass this along. Talked to my buddy in Michigan last night, seems he has been getting his young grandson ready for a youth rifle hunt. The grandson wasn't too keen on the kick from a standard 30-30 180 gr load and was pulling his head away as he pulled the trigger. They bought some reduced powder rounds from Remington and soon the target was being hit right on the money. Probably a 243 or the old 250 savage would have been a good fit but sounds like the factory reduced loads worked too.

#2 ·
I bought some reduced recoil for my daughter to use in her .308 when I bought it she insisted on using standard loads to try first shot them fine so I used the reduced recoil for target practice they seemed to shoot fine

#3 ·
the Factory Reduced Coil ammunition loads are great for that very reason, (Helping a youth develop shooting skills)
BUT I would not recommend using them for hunts. It would be like using practice tips to hunt with a bow it is a deadly option but not the best choice in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.