Deer Hunting Forums banner

Scope for Savage 220 20ga

29K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  James1979 
#1 ·
I just got a new Savage 220 and I'm looking at 2 scopes and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with BDC200 reticle
or
Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 with BDC200 reticle

Thanks

#3 ·
Hi Philly: First I want to compliment you on your choice of slug gun, I set up a 220 for my brother-in-law this year. We put the 2x-7x Nikon Prostaff on it with Leupold rings and I was really impressed. The feel and balance is great, and it is a tack driver. We were virtually touching hole after hole at 100 yds with it. As far as scopes, I don't think there is a finer scope for the price than the Nikon Prostaff. But why do you want a BDC reticle when you are going to use a round that is pretty much flat out to 200 yds? Besides, if you don't use a round whose ballistics match those circles, all they are going to do is create more confusion. If you use Barnes Tipped Expanders, set the gun 2" high at 50 yds, you will be pretty much dead on at 150 yds, about 7" or 8" low at 200 yds. Forget the circle nonsense, learn where the gun shoots with a nice, plain duplex reticle. Out to 150 you are still shooting straight on the body, at 200 you are still shooting straight on the body, just high body. By 200 yds you've pretty much exhausted the feasible range of a fast 20 ga slug anyway. To me all that circle stuff is nonsense, and they just clutter up a nice sight picture. Furthermore, if you don't have a good solid rest, and I mean SOLID rest, the long distance stuff isn't gonna happen anyway. I've killed deer as far as 204 yds, and I use a 1974 Rem 870 with a 1969 Redfield 2x-7x 32mm on it. I 've also killed a bunch of them over 150 yds, this all came out of necessity 'cause the only place I have to hunt is looking over an 80 acre field. My point is, definitely go with the Prostaff, the 3-9 will give you a much bigger sight picture, if you think you are seeing enough out of the 2-7, then that will do you. Go to the store and look through both of them, see what you like.Also don't forget to consider ring height when you mount the new scope. Sorry for the lenghty reply, hopr this helps some!!
Tom L

#4 ·
:goodposting::goodposting::goodposting:Couldnt agree more about those stupid Bdc reticles and the Nikon prostaff is a great scope at that price.In fact i think its the best buy at that range. Then the next level i think the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 blows away alot of scopes for 382$.Leupolds,Nikons,Burris,nothing compares to that Zeiss at that price.Just my 2cents.

#5 ·
Yeah Spiker, you are absolutely correct(IMO)about the Zeiss Conquest, a friend in South Ill has one on an 870 with a pinned barrel and it is an amazing eyepiece, Stuff like that is out of my price range anymore. My old Redfield has been really good, in 42 yrs it has come apart internally only once, had it rebuilt in around '98 and it has been fine since. But that scope was cutting edge back in it's day, I have 2 more just like it in 3-9x40mm on 2 different rifles, but these days you can get a much more quality laden scope for a lot less money than you could back then. As far as the circle business goes, I know 3 different guys who have them and not ONE OF THEM has ever used it or even bothered to play with them to see what happens when you do use them. So what's the point? There is still no substitute for actually knowing exactly what your particular gun does with said rounds at different yardages. That's all a guy needs to know!! Nuff said!!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I purchased the Prostaff 3-9x40 with BDC today at Dick's I couldn't pass up the deal. Dick's has it on sale for $159 and they matched another store at $139 and I had two $10 coupons. So I got two of them for $129. I put the 2nd on my TC Triumph. Once again thanks for the replies.

#9 ·
Savage 220, Nikon Shotgun hunter 2-7, Remington Accu Tip

I'm looking how to sight in my Nikon Shotgun hunter scope. I was told there is a website online that will tell you what the dots on the BDC stand for with each of the different guns and shells. Does anyone know what this webiste is? I haven't gotten a chance to sight it in yet but plan on doing it tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.