Savage 220 Vs Savage 212 vs Mossberg 500 For Deer - Deer Hunting Forums
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Savage 220 Vs Savage 212 vs Mossberg 500 For Deer

Hi Guys, This past season was my first deer hunting. I hunted with a bow and also borrowed a 12 gauge Mossberg 835 from a friend. The Mossberg had the rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. My friend has shot multiple deer over 100 yards and his longest shot has been 180 yards that he said was a "hail marry". I shot a deer at 30 yards. This is the limit of my experience shooting slugs and I have zero experience with shooting rifles.

I am looking to buy my first shotgun for deer hunting. My goal is a 150+ yard slug gun. Where I will hunt rifles are not an option. I have the following questions that hopefully some of you guys will have the experience to answer.

1. Depending on the slug, a 20 gauge slug will drop below 1000 ft.lbf of energy at around 120 yards. Is 1000 ft.lbf a reasonable minimum for deer? Would you be confident with a 20 gauge a distances greater than 120 yards?

2. The savage 212 has a 1/35 twist rate. Because of this relatively slow twist rate can the 212 shoot high velocity rounds and be as accurate as the savage 220 at 200 yards?

3. The mossberg 500 has a 1/36 twist rate. How accurate can this gun group at 100 yards? Can it shoot high velocity slugs? Has anyone tried?
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM
B&C 200 Class

My son purchased the camo 220 and was successful in harvesting a nice Ohio 8pt. I was very impressed with the 220 when sighting it in. I will be getting myself one. I would have no problem with shooting the 220 out to 150yds with a decent scope on it. I would have to range shoot out beyond 150 to know it's performance. Remington ballistic tips were used.

Hunting Man
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in