What's chokes should I use? - Deer Hunting Forums
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

What's chokes should I use?

Hi guys, I am buying a new Miroku mk 70 12Ga and I need to know what choke to use for the shooting I do (all lead.) I shoot Field and game simulated field which is pretty close to sporting I've been told. Some but not many use 1/4 on bottom and 1/2 on top. A lot of people at my club use 1/2 on both barrels. Some also do 1/2 on bottom and 3/4 on top. I was thinking of going with 1/2 on bottom and maybe 3/4 or full on top. There is often a close target say 20-30 yards and 35-50 yards for long targets and you encounter a blend of both in each round. What would you use? Out of the same gun I will shoot rabbits with 4s normally at 20-30 yards but about 30% of rabbits will be between 30-45 yards. I was thinking 1/2 bottom and full on top. Ducks normally at 25-35 yards but I also see them at longer distances such as 50yards but I have never really shot passed 40 with much success before. I might have to use steel sometimes so I was thinking 1/4 bottom and then 3/4 top. But with lead 1/2 and full. Foxes I thought 3/4 and full as I normally have to shoot at longer distances such as at least 30 yards but often 45. Also normally they aren't moving so don't need much margin for error. I also might use it for skeet which I have never done before but we have a spot on our sporting ground they say is like skeet and I really enjoyed it using a side by side with both 1/4 chokes. Would probably use a 1/4 and 1/2 as I don't think it comes with 2 of each choke just one for each size. Would probably use the same for quail which I haven't done lots of but I'd say distance of 15-20 yards is common every now and then maybe 20% a bird from 20-30 yards. I have more game but I thought I should stop now. If you agree with or disagree please comment as I am no expert and am only ball parking this stuff but I want to know more.

Thanks,

Adam
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 PM
B&C 200 Class

Hello, I've never been much of a choke person as I don't do much shotgun hunting anymore. What guns I do have with chokes are marked full, mod, cyl. or something along those lines. So the 1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4 chokes you refer to are probably similar to the chokes I mentioned. Full for ducks,geese, fox, mod for pheasants and rabbits, cyl for skeet. One should never shoot slugs from a full choke barrel/choke. Others may have a better idea regarding the mixing of chokes, however, I don't see the need to mix them up as I am the person who would chose the wrong barrel first. Good luck with your hunting.

Hunting Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode