Bipods and such. - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Bipods and such.

Ok so upon all my preparations for my first hunting trip with my son I overlooked one major thing, what he will use to support the front of the rifle. Myself I'm pretty good without anything from a kneeling or prone position but he will need something.

He has been shooting from a Sitting position using a bail of straw for support. But I can't lug that to the blind. I'm sure I will figure something out as I'm pretty resourceful but what would be some good lightweight equipment I could buy for this? The rifle is a savage model 11fxp3.
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Scrub Buck

well if you dont want to spend money you could always cut a tree branch with a v in it to the correct height. or you could go to walmart... they have shooting sticks for 20 dollars. personally i go cheap and use a tree branch. but its up to you... good luck and safe hunting
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

You can buy a mono-pod

They make a device called a mono-pod that kinda looks like a cane with an adjustable rifle rest on it. It would work great if you are sitting in the blind and want a stable rest on the front of the rifle. Just make sure none of your rests or shooting sticks are touching the actual barrel of the rifle. The upward pressure on the barrel will change the bullets point of impact. The forward portion of the stock is where you would want to have it rest not the barrel.

Karl
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'd recommend one of those things called the "Trigger Stick". Much high quality than those shooting sticks at walmart.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinthebig1 View Post
well if you dont want to spend money you could always cut a tree branch with a v in it to the correct height. or you could go to walmart... they have shooting sticks for 20 dollars. personally i go cheap and use a tree branch. but its up to you... good luck and safe hunting
I'll tell you right now, ALL of those tripods or bipods or monopods are OVER PRICED!!! They are rediculous. Bass pro had one w/a trigger supposedly on sale for $39!!!! That's crazy.

Truth be told, I did exactly what chasin did... I found a good hickory tree and cut off a branch that was about golf ball size in diameter and it was about 4 feet long and it made a PERFECT "V" at one end. it works well, plus I saved $40+ dollars

James 1:2-8
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM

I have a Primos trigger stick that you can adjust to any height quickly and easily. They do make a bipod and tripod stick as well. I have the single foot deal but like chasing said a regular stick in a v shape to support the barrel will work perfectly.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
B&C 200 Class

from a sitting position one can use their sling and knee and get a good solid rest, hunting from the ground.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Another cheap option for a shooting support

I was reading the other posts and have to wonder if an old sking pole would not work. I have some with a molded handgrip that might work pretty well, if it doesn't block the sightline of the scope.

Karl
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 PM

A regular straight stick will work also. Just hold the stick with your aiming hand and lay the barrel on top of your hand where it would be resting across your thumb and pointer finger.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma
since I usually shoot from the prone position, I mount a bipod on my rifles at the same time I mount a scope. I did find that now that I am hunting from a portable tree stand, I need to modify my bipods with some type of inverted v shaped feet to rest on the front of the stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode