Bipods and such. - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Well yesterday evening while in my storage unit I found my old aluminum framed camera tripod that has telescoping legs and the center will raise alone using a turn handle.

Since I never used it any more I fitted some sides peices on it to keep the rifle from falling off the sides and it works quite well and can be sort enough to use while sitting or tall enough to use standing.

Also when folded and collapsed it fits nicely into my field pack with the rest of my gear and is very light so ima stick with it. Might still get a bipod for prone shooting though.
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM

You might have a patent idea going there 83.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Lol i don't know about all that. But yea I could make the side pieces adjustable to allocate for different stock forearm widths(even though most are roughly the same) and camo out the frame and bam sell it to one of these big companies and reap the rewards lol.
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Find a forked stick he likes and have him decorate it himself. 1 its free 2. He just might be proud of what he made and found. But if you need to buy one, I am not a fan of bi pods attached to the gun! Cumbersome and noisy. The Caldwell XLA has three different sizes price range from 40 to 60 bucks. Check it out. Bass Pro Shops
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Scrub Buck

going cheap

I had the an old camera tripod that the mount was broken. I cut the camera mount off leaving only a 1 inch post. a trip to the hardware store I got a 1 1/2" PVC pipe Tee. cut the thing to leave the U shape. A reducer,also PVC that would fit the tube on the tripod and the pipe Tee and your in business. it will take some sanding to let the Tee spin on the reducer but it works great. Is fully adjustable from about 1 1/2 ft. tall to eye level standing. everyone who has seen the thing has been very impressed. If your interested I'll try to get you some pictures. the thing would cost less than $20 if you had to buy everything.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM

funny I use a camera tripod for my daughter been using it for a couple years now & it does work great
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealley View Post
I had the an old camera tripod that the mount was broken. I cut the camera mount off leaving only a 1 inch post. a trip to the hardware store I got a 1 1/2" PVC pipe Tee. cut the thing to leave the U shape. A reducer,also PVC that would fit the tube on the tripod and the pipe Tee and your in business. it will take some sanding to let the Tee spin on the reducer but it works great. Is fully adjustable from about 1 1/2 ft. tall to eye level standing. everyone who has seen the thing has been very impressed. If your interested I'll try to get you some pictures. the thing would cost less than $20 if you had to buy everything.
I left the mount on mine and just attached some side pieces we had at work and the tripod was something I aquired for free so im in it $0 lol.

The tripod does work great and love the adjustability and its compact!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Scrub Buck

I picked up two dowel rods at Wal Mart and drilled a hole big enough for a machine screw and wing nut to go through about three inches from the top. Cost was about 3 dollars and is rock steady. Bloodied it up the first day of use too.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
B&C 180 Class

was at wal-mart yesterday looking at their hunting section and winchester makes a shooting stick that's plain-jane, but it works. It's only $10... thinking about picking one up. Now, it's not as sturdy as those $40 ones, but if all you're needing is a rest, this looks like it'd work!

James 1:2-8
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
I'll tell you right now, ALL of those tripods or bipods or monopods are OVER PRICED!!! They are rediculous. Bass pro had one w/a trigger supposedly on sale for $39!!!! That's crazy.

Truth be told, I did exactly what chasin did... I found a good hickory tree and cut off a branch that was about golf ball size in diameter and it was about 4 feet long and it made a PERFECT "V" at one end. it works well, plus I saved $40+ dollars
Agree with you. All of those bipods is expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode