270 grouping - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

270 grouping

i just bought a wichester 270 and im having trouble getting grouping better than 3.5 inches at 100yards using 150 grain winchesters and a bushnell banner dawn to dusk scope ,its my first rifle but im shooting shotguns most my life ,thinking of dropping to 130 grain but has anyone any tips or is it a matter of more practise
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
B&C 140 Class

my winchester M70, loved the lighter loads. 130 gr. also try a couple of different manufactures ammo. My M70 in .270 loves federal fusions. my Ruger in .270 shoots Hornady the best. both in 130 gr.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
ronn

shot guns i believe you pull the trigger, with rifles you must squeeze the trigger. there could be all kinds of reasons, bullet choice being only one of them.
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Suggestions for shooting tighter groups

Here are some ideas for a new rifle shooter to try..
1. Drop down to a 50 yard range if it's available. Just until you get comfortable shooting your rifle. If they aren't almost touching at 50 why go to 100 yards.
2. Use sand bags from the bench to stabilize the rifle. If your cross hairs are moving your groups are going to be staying over 3 inches at 100 yards.
3. Limit yourself to 20 rifle shots per a visit to the range. Bring your shotgun along and shoot a round of skeet/trap after shooting the 20 through the rifle.
4. Verify everything is tight with your scope rings and mounts.
5. Have a friend that won't give you to much grief shoot your rifle if the group size doesn't shrink. Just be ready to be beat with your own rifle.
6. Your rifle or scope could have mechanical issues that will keep it from shooting real small groups even after you address the above issues. Your crown on the barrel could be bad, rifle's bore could be rough, scope could be loose on the inside or allow the cross hairs to drift.
7. Relax, keep telling yourself that this all about having fun. Alot of deer have been killed by shooters that couldn't shoot better then 3 inches at 100 yards.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM
B&C 160 Class

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Great suggestions KL!!!

But I do have a question about groupings with a rifle of mine.

Have a 6mm Remington with a 4 rd drop magazine. After getting sights adjusted at ~ 50 yds, I move to the 100 yrd range.

Out of the 4 round clip, 3 rds will be close (within 1 1/2 inches) but one of the rounds would go high, about 4 or 5 inches high. Don't ask which round of the 4 went high. I repeated this through 3 different magazines. 3 rounds close, 1 high.

Anyone have any suggestions besides stopping at 3 rounds? <grin>
(Proved it drops deer with 1 round during the past season.)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
Great suggestions KL!!!

But I do have a question about groupings with a rifle of mine.

Have a 6mm Remington with a 4 rd drop magazine. After getting sights adjusted at ~ 50 yds, I move to the 100 yrd range.

Out of the 4 round clip, 3 rds will be close (within 1 1/2 inches) but one of the rounds would go high, about 4 or 5 inches high. Don't ask which round of the 4 went high. I repeated this through 3 different magazines. 3 rounds close, 1 high.

Anyone have any suggestions besides stopping at 3 rounds? <grin>
(Proved it drops deer with 1 round during the past season.)
try after shooting one round get up and walk around, waiting to shoot again before the next. do this for every round in the mag. if you are shooting one after the other the heat may be messing with the last shot.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks for the suggestion, Ronn. I do tend to head for the range in late summer to early fall, which is typically during the warmest months of the year around here. The longer wait between rounds would allow the barrel to cool some before the next round goes through.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
B&C 200 Class

I start with a large cardboard back board 30 x 30 and start at 25 yds. I shoot two then adjust, shoot two and let the gun set. Move to 50 yds and shoot two make any adjustments and fire 1 more. Move to 100 yds and shoot two, make any final adjustments, let the barrel cool and then shoot two for final sight-in. I am always concentrating on grouping the holes and making adjustments from the two shot group. I like front sand bags and solid bench to shoot from.Generally for PA deer hunting I set the final shot group about 1.5"high.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Ronn. I do tend to head for the range in late summer to early fall, which is typically during the warmest months of the year around here. The longer wait between rounds would allow the barrel to cool some before the next round goes through.
i think the 6mm is a fairly hot round and if the barrel is light the shots may be warming it up to much. heat from the air shouldn't mess with the barrel but it will change the burn rate of the cartridge but that shouldn't change at one sitting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode