270 grouping - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

remove the bolt and stand it upright for five minutes , this should help it cool quickly. Remember that sighting in in warm weather will change the point of impact slightly in cold weather. I some times bring a flexible ice pack and run it up and down the barrel in the summer to cool the barrel if I don't have a lot of time. The 6mm is very close to the 22-250 in pressures and is a great long range varmit gun , but I would use it on deer if the right shot presented itself. I know from reading previous posts that some people do not agree but thats ok with me.
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hi mack and welcome to the site.
You don't mention what kind of Winchester you have so can we assume it is a Model 70?
daddus1
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

duh I guess it was established it was a Mod 70. Some of us shoot then check, duh!
daddus1
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Mack,
Karl has some great suggestions, there is a lot of difference between shotgun and rifle just take your time and don't overwhelm yourself. It will come along.
daddus1
I know it will because if I learned to shoot ANYONE can. lol at myself
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr- View Post
remove the bolt and stand it upright for five minutes , this should help it cool quickly. Remember that sighting in in warm weather will change the point of impact slightly in cold weather. I some times bring a flexible ice pack and run it up and down the barrel in the summer to cool the barrel if I don't have a lot of time. The 6mm is very close to the 22-250 in pressures and is a great long range varmit gun , but I would use it on deer if the right shot presented itself. I know from reading previous posts that some people do not agree but thats ok with me.
The 22-250 has dropped many a deer here in Texas, regardless what others may think about it being "big" enough for hunting big(ger) game. I used 6mm Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt with great success this year. 2 rounds = 2 deer in the freezer. Yes, the shots presented themselves nicely.

Thank you for the suggestion about removing the bolt while walking around. It's something I really hadn't thought about. The ice??? That would be for running over my forehead, if/when I'm (stupid enough to be) out there in Aug or Sep again.

I guess it's all about taking your time when out on the range, and not trying to get in a hurry between shots. Will have to remember all of these great tips when heading back to the range. (or maybe I'd better just write them down now and stuff them in my ammo box, I suffer terribly from that CRS disease, you know . . . . . . . . Can't Remember Shhtuff.)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

yea a model 70 ,and thanks for all advice it was a matter of squeezing the trigger ,i was flinching too much , have it cracked now and flattened my first sika deer yesterday evening
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
yea a model 70 ,and thanks for all advice it was a matter of squeezing the trigger ,i was flinching too much , have it cracked now and flattened my first sika deer yesterday evening
a guy i know was having a small issue with the group not being as tight as he would have liked. the gun was pretty new to him if i remember right. anyway i said let me chamber the rounds. so i put in a live one and the next, without him knowing, i put in a spent casing. that showed where the issue was. after that cutting dimes. oh i failed to mention it was a 300 win mag.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

My ears were ringing , what did you say ronn?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 PM
ronn

for true or not?

i can tell when i'm squeezing the trigger on that 338 win mag at the bench cause i'm usually bleeding from the brow, nose, or somewhere.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Try a .22 rimfire for fun

I just was reading about the fun bleeding behind magnums and I had another thought. We are talking about shooting tight groups and relaxing behind our rifles. The easiest way to relax and have fun is behind a 22 rimfire rifle. With the total lack of recoil, shooting at either 25 or 50 yards is just a matter of watching the crosshairs as we lightly press on the trigger. I think all of us would benefit from more time behind a scoped 22 rimfire rifle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode