20 cal for deer - Page 6 - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Sounds like you have a nice rifle there eight point i envy you! Thank you for the info on what your doing with your 22-250. I have a 22-250 AI its a savage model VLP Varmint barrel, that i had my favourite gunsmith improve and accurise for me.

Recently ive been wanting to convert my .223 CZ 527 to a .20 tactical and do away or rebarrel the savage 22-250..... i might just AI the .223 instead... not sure just yet.

I was thinking that using the same 40gr vmax, the slight decrease in bullet diameter between the 22 and 20 cal would promote deeper penetration before breaking up. However due to higher velocitys it would probably be the same. What do you think?
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 03:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

wind would be one of the only factors on the down side with the lighter bullet. The 20 cal is interesting though ,speed with a different twist rate . I hope it works out for you.
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have a Remington 700 BDL varmint in .223 flavor. I would not hesitate for 1 second to take a 200 yd shot on a whitetail with it. I have taken the time to tailor a reload specifically for this purpose. I am very proficient with this rifle and I realize my limitations and their is no reason to think that I could not harvest a deer as effectively and humanely with this rifle as anyone else could with a 243 or a 30-06 etc, etc.

This has nothing to do with my ethics and/or morality regarding deer hunting it is all about my confidence and what I am comfortable with attempting.
Advertisement

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Airbourne id like to hear about this load care to share?
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 AM
ronn

ok i got a general type question. these guns and the ammo they shoot all say varmint on them in one form or another. the bullets are disigned for small game, rapid fragmentation and the like. why then would someone choose a varmint set up for big game? just asking.
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM
B&C 100 Class

If you look in most reloading manuals they say that these rounds are for woodchucks to medium size game ,which a deer is. The bullet chioce is essential. If it is legal than let it be. You must pactice and be comfortable with it and know your limitations as you stated earlier.i don't now maybe we should have our young ones shooting a 416 rigby? I have seen many hunting partners wound or mame animals with 30 cals of all sorts. Bottom line ,practice and be profficientwith what you have.
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
B&C 100 Class

peace on earth good will to men .
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
ronn

thanks eightpoint, as i said just asking. what bullet do you use? something like a barnes? i tried them little blue things but couldn't get them to group for me.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 04:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

I do like barnze but I realy love berger, or swift a-frame ,then hornady
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Theres a old saying "Becareful of the man with one rifle, he may know how to use it". I like that saying, i like being proficient and i like being able to be versitile with one gun. To know you and your rifles limitations and capabilitys so you are an effective hunter in all situations, to me is real hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode