20 cal for deer - Page 5 - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
B&C 200 Class

ronn, I have to admit i got confused a bit on that point. My second buck in PA was shot with my 22-250 later I found out it was illegal to hunt with in PA. I think that was 1975. I'm having trouble with what seems like a sniper like mentality fused into deer hunting and it seems out of line with me. I may be totally wrong but it doesn't sit well right now, I have to think on this a bit more.
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

I also agree with Time to Hunt with trying to get the closest shot possible, and take the high percentage shots. I apologize if I came off wrong with any of my posts. When I was taught to shoot I was always told by my dad to subtract as many variables you can, and make a positive result. I am trying to be a better hunter and have a lot to learn. I shoot with guys that are crack shots and have always wished I could shoot 300+ yards like them, and I know they have had lots of practice, but even if I was able to shoot that way, I would take a 75 yard shot over 150-200 yards.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
B&C 100 Class

I want to know if 8 point has one of his old guns that he will sell cheap. My Ruger bolt is right at MoA at 100.

I would love to have any gun capable of 1/2 MoA. 1/4 MoA is just nuts. Just isn't worth the added cost.

As for head shots and neck shots. They are vital clean killing shots. The animal just won't bleed out as much. Aim small, miss small, but if you shoot the jaw off a deer it will take about 3-4 days to die. That isn't my kind of shot generally. My In-Laws head shoot all deer that are not going on the wall. To each his own.
Advertisement

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Scrub Buck

I think if your not sure the gun will drop and kill a deer, you probably shouldn't be using it. You have to be confident that if you don't get the absolute perfect shot, you can still kill the animal. We are out there to kill them, but not to make them suffer! That's just my 2 cents!
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
ronn

the best way i can this say it is know the capabilities and limitation of both your weapon and yourself and take the highest percentage shot. don't gamble.
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

I shoot a dakota arms custom , heavy bull barrel in 22-250,with hand loads w/55 grain vmax. topped with a niko sterling 4-16 scope resting on a harrison bi pod.
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
ronn

Smile Hmm.. it's going to

Hmm.. it's going to be interesting how this plays out. You are dleteing our comments on your site here that blow your wild comments out of the water, and using the I get 56788800009 spam comments a day, so they might get deleted in the process excuse yet it's only the comments I spend time researching, adding links, quotes, and generally intellectually owning you on that get caught up in your spam purge yet my obvious bait comments make it out untouched, allowing you to reply saying you're insane etc .You won't be able to use that excuse on a forum it will be out right censorship.Should be mighty interesting indeed

Last edited by Andi; 04-19-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: zrkfFNfe
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a rem vss also but I used some of my pension to purchase the dakota and it is well worth it. Try the 55's with hodgen powder ,load not to hot ,just right.My best was watching my boy shoot his first coyote at 345 yards. aced it !
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
ronn

Smile RE: I Hope You're

RE: I Hope You're RightBut airliners seillng $97 tickets to Boston may just keep the old junk patched together to get the new Chinese cheap units later, to keep from going bankrupt buying Boeing/Airbus. Also, with all this foreign guest H-1B traffic in America the last decade or two, our aerospace secrets are being handed down to trained spies, eventually returning to their motherland ..hades, the U of W gives a lion share of the Washington State college slots to em too, training them and meanwhile, our domestic Boeing youth aren't majoring in engineering anymore ..it seems Americans today all want to grow up and get six figure jobs, yet do as little as possible [like invent things]. There's still engineers in Boeing, but boy are they avg age old.It's over. Rate this comment: 0 0

Last edited by Doha; 04-20-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: 90nuMuTl
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

To "the new guy" asking if the .243 is "enough". It most certainly is! My son used one (Savage Model 11) to get his first deer a couple years back. I didn't see any location in your post, so I can't begin to guess what type of terrain/countryside you'd be shooting in. But you're absolutely right about one thing, it would be a shame to "ruin" a pre-64 Model 94 by mounting a scope.

Randy recommendation - .270 or .30-06 for caliber, or anything in between. By now, the rifle manufacturer would be a personal preference since most of the real "name brands" (Savage, Remington, Sako, etc) seem to be putting out some really nice rifles these days. But that's just a Randy recommendation/opinion.

And we all know what opinions are, right??? Opinions are like a person's hind end - everyone's got one and most of them stank!!! (Sorry guys, couldn't pass that one up!) <yuck, yuck>

Last edited by rdrader2002; 12-17-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode