20 cal for deer - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
For you guys who are wondering about those of us who say a 22 and head shots at deer are unethical, here's something we must keep in mind: one of the goals of this forum is to pass on solid information to newcomers to deer hunting. We want to give them advice that will BEST assure their success.
Very well Said !!!

P.S. Ronn, after reading this thread I gotta tell ya, you have WAY more patience than I got.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-16-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
B&C 200 Class

bb, I agree. This post really upsets me as a hunter and someone who tries to advise the new hunters asking for help/information. I hope this is not the trend of the future hunters. Good post onehorse & ronn!
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
B&C 120 Class

I also am upset by some of the post in this thread. It is very obvious that each hunter on hear has there own set of ethics. While some of the post go against my ethics I believe everyone is entitled to there own set of ethics. To add some balance to this thread and for those that may still be forging there own ethics I will breifly discuss mine. I have been deer hunting for 10 years now, since I was legally able to (that makes me 25). I believe that there will never be a final conclusion to the caliber question but I do think that every hunter should use a bullet that will do its job quickly and effectively. I also believe that the shot that should be taken is the highest percentage shot. The largest vital zone is the heart and lung zone. This is the only kill zone I will shot at. Why? Deer hunting isn't just about killing deer to me. Neither is it about killing the biggest buck in the county. I strive to make quick kills that show respect for the deer I am after. I am always in the "Bow Hunter" mode. I want to be as clsoe to the target animal as possible. Even when carrying a gun, I want to be close. I do not condemn those that take long shots but I do feel that it cheapens the experience and blurs the lines of hunting and shooting. (I'm not looking for an argument here from anyone that may disagree). The expereience I take away from the hunt is by far the most rewarding part about hunting for me. What it boils down to is, get as close as you can and take the high percentage shot. Other than that I let them walk and try another day. (sorry if this post is too long and scattered, just had to get it out)
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
ronn

i thought it was a pretty good conversation/discussion.
even if one can keep every shot in the size of a dime on paper at 200, there is a huge difference when shooting at something at an unknown distance, technically, that moves and seems to have the 6 sense to do so at just the wrong time. a twitch can be the difference between a kill and a mortally wounded animal without the blood trail of a chest shot. it is a kill zone the size of a golf ball or a kill zone the size of a dinner plate. now you need the energy to do the job. i won't use anythig less than a 243 and thats my suggestion to any one and everyone, regardless what can be done. the question is should it be done? without a doubt MY answer is no.

and eight point thanks for a good discussion.

Last edited by ronn; 12-16-2009 at 03:46 PM.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Not to beat a dead horse...

Ronn,
I have been looking for a new rifle as what I have now is a pre-64 winchester model 94 with open sights. I don't want to take the long shots with it because I'm not really comfortable with the open sights, but at the same time I don't want to mount a scope and ruin a classic American rifle. Would you say a .243 would be a sufficiant deer rifle for a new guy?
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
B&C 200 Class

timetohunt, that's a pretty good sumation!
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Yes I have used the vmax 40 gr with good success. However on this TOUCHY subject I use a 55 grain vmax moly. It has Never let me down or has any large game animal that I have harvested EVER, EVER suffered or taken more then four steps before expiring. I have researched the laws and many states allow 22 centerfires to harvest large game animals. I really do enjoy the views and forum on this subject. Freedom of speech is what I respect and defend.
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 PM
ronn

Cool I apologize, but per

I apologize, but pernosally I think it is bullshit you will not make a LH version in atleast one model and you have been out on the market for some time now. I have served my country just like the rest of you and I think a Quality rifle such as yours should be available for anyone willing to spend the $$$. It isnt that complicating to flip flop the design. Cmon. Im sure you will make your money back on the R&D part quicker than you think.. starting with me.

Last edited by Myra; 04-19-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: IEuEbKVL
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:21 PM
B&C 200 Class

eightpoint on your last statement we both agree!
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
ronn

Cool I have decided that

I have decided that Maryland is gun owner hell. I went to the pthietac excuse for a gun show this weekend looking for AR clip couplers and I though the dude was gonna call ATF in on me.

Last edited by Sri; 04-20-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: wN7dGU6KXv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode