3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunting Man
  • 1 Post By Scorpion8
  • 1 Post By Scorpion8

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Tikka T3x Synthetic vs Laminated vs Hunter

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a 30-06 rifle from Tikka in the T3x. It's within my price range and I know a little bit about the guns. But I'm not sure which way to go. Synthetic vs Laminated vs Hunter (wood).

Just a little about me as a hunter/shooter. I hunt in MN, mainly white tail deer but would also like to branch out for other big game while using the same gun (thus 30-06). Plus I've shot by grandpas 30-06 and like the way it handled. I'd probably go to the range to get used to it and sight it in as well.

I'm also in the market for a good, decent scope for it too. Any suggestions with these guns would be welcome!

Last edited by kidcider3; 08-13-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: forgot other info
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM
B&C 200 Class

I'm sure the western hunters will opt for the synthetic stock because you're going to bang it up a few times and it would be a lighter carry. A few hunters will say laminated as it handles getting wet better than wood, however, I am a wood guy. I love burl walnut, and curley maple stocks. I have hunted over 50 years with wood stocks and never had any issues with swelling or change in shot groups. Yes I hunt in rain or shine. Just shoot a light weight synthetic stocked rifle to see how the recoil is vs a heavier wood stock. Any brand name scope in a 3x9x40 would be great for a 30-06. Can't go wrong with a Leupold scope. In scopes you generally get what you pay for. 150-165gr bullets work great on deer sized game. If I were to go after elk with an 06 I would opt for 180gr high quality bullets. Good luck!
Scorpion8 likes this.

Hunting Man
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

HM is pretty dead-on. The .30-06 is a great cartridge and can be used on almost any game in North America. I also love a good wood stocked rifle, but also recognize that I care a little less about banging a synthetic stocked rifle around in a truck or boat. For glass I'm a big fan of Nikon Buckmasters or ProStaff scopes, or Burris Fullfield II all in 3x9-40s for variable uses. Leupold, Vortex, and others make good glass also. For loads, try either Hornady's American Whitetail loads or you can never go wrong with a plain ol' Remington Core-Lokt bullet.
Hunting Man likes this.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the info guys! I'll keep thinking about what I want to do. I'm more or less thinking Laminated or Wood at this point and the difference in price is maybe $50 between those two.

As far as scopes, what about the brands Zeiss, Nightforce, or Sig Sauer? Any thing about those you know?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcider3 View Post
As far as scopes, what about the brands Zeiss, Nightforce, or Sig Sauer? Any thing about those you know?

I only know Zeiss by reputation, and have never used either of the others. Is there a particular feature in optics that you are looking for?

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Well I used a Marlin 30-30 lever action the last 10 years or so. Never had a scope on in and just shot peep site. I won't be using that gun anymore due to some 'family drama.'

I'm a pretty good shot at a long distance without a scope in general so I'm just looking to improve that shot with getting one. I know from my experience working in outdoor retail that 3x9-40 is a pretty standard set up. So I'm just looking for something that will suit my needs for hunting big game with whatever T3x I get. Because of that retail experience I'm also able to get some deals at certain companies as well so that's part of the reason I asked about them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

The 3-9x40 variable power scope is kind of ubiquitous in American hunting. There are probably more of them than any other setup. The newer 4-12x50's are worth a look, but the larger objective bell requires taller scope mounts. Zeiss is good-to-great glass, and if you can get a deal that makes it affordable, then why not? The general rule-of-thumb that I always heard was that the glass should cost in the same range as the rifle. Considering where I hunt here in Alaska however, it's not worth it to put that much investment into glass when I can get really good glass for much cheaper. Only you can rationalize that for your needs and specific conditions.
Hunting Man likes this.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Sweet. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode