It isn't TO cold to get out shooting - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

It isn't TO cold to get out shooting

Well it has not be fun here in Minnesota lately. Temps keeping getting on the wrong side of zero degrees F. Yes I know there are some of us that live in the 49th state that probably wish it was that warm.
I got out to the range on a day that was low 20s and it was fun to put some rounds through the rifle. My ammo was the left overs from Deer hunting this year( I didn't get a shot) and some I threw together at the last minute.
My big disappointment was one round wouldn't go off, bad primer. I have been loading pistol/rifle ammo for about 40 years and that is the first primer that I have had not go off. It was a Federal primer and I am sure that it was my mistake somehow. I always spray my cases with case lube. I can only guess that it ran down into the primer hole killing the new primer. I can only imagine if my rifle would not have fired at a whitetail.
Hopefully 40 more years before I have another primer not go off.

Karl
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM
B&C 140 Class

Nah, cold temps are fine for shooting. Heck, the barrel stays cooler and so does the Coke on the shooting table. But along with that we've had high winds ("Taku Winds" called locally) of upwards 90mph at the harbor. Less back in the Valleys but you never know until you get there.

I've been reading a lot about bad primers in factory ammo these days. More so than ever. I think that's why I use one of those roll pads to lube cases instead of sprays..... it controls more of where the lube goes.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

More on primer woes

Yea I used to use a case lube pad. It works great for flat pistol cartridges but grease on case necks gives us dents on the shoulder. I think that I am going to go back to my lee autoprime to prime my cases. Its handheld and will be done as a separate step. That separate step will give time for any spray in lube to evaporate prior me putting in a new primer.

Karl
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM
B&C 140 Class

I've always hand-primed my cases. Way back when I started reloading, I think I did 10-12 cases priming them with the gadget on the press. For the birds! I got a Lee handheld primer and just picked up another RCBS hand primer to test also. Been hand-priming since the 90's....

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode