Deer Hunting Forums banner

good rifle scope for deer hunting

13K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Priotosh 
#1 ·
Hello, I have been looking for a new scope for hunting this season and cant decide on what i should get. I have a Remington 700 VTR in .308, currently i am shooting with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 BDC I like the scope but at 50 and even 100 yards its just not that clear of a sight. I live in Florida and plan on hunting here and in south Alabama, ifI have a shot past 70 yards im lucky. I have been thinking about the monarch3 2-8x32 but Ive cant find one in store to see how they look. Im trying to stay around the $300 price range. Any one have other reccomendations or any input on that monarch?

#2 ·
I would suggest the Nikon Pro-staff 3-9x40, I think the pro staff is one of the most popular scopes for your hunting conditions and I think its only around 150 dollars...

good luck

#6 ·
I just recently bought a new Buckmaster and they are solid and built like a tank. I do find the -50 objective bell to be pretty dang big, which is why I stick to the -40's. The -50 bell needs high scope rings to get it off the barrel, and I'm more comfortable with medium rings.

#8 ·
I would give the Redfield Revolution line look....

The new Redfield's are made in Leopold's Oregon factory and I talked a buddy into one and he is very happy with it. The one he bought was a 2x7x32 but they also offer it in 3x9x40. The 2x7 was almost a compact but I worked nice on the Marlin XL7 we placed it on. The 3x9 has a longer tube and would allow more scope positioning. The price I have seen these going for is 150-225 range. It has a lifetime no questions warrantee that should never be needed.

Karl

#9 ·
It's hard to beat Leupold scopes period. I've never liked high scope mounts as it pulls my cheek too far off the stock, but everyone is different. At the distances you are shooting a good fixed power scope could serve you well and usually they are a bit cheaper with same quality lens. Scopes are generally in the you get what you pay for. A 150.00 scope is a 150.00 scope and one should not expect the same quality scope as a 800.00. For most average deer hunters shooting 200 yds and under most of the scopes out there will function well enough. I like Leupold and older Redfield scopes but have Pentax scopes also. With all the new lens coatings out there light gathering is pretty good across the line. Good luck on your purchase.

#10 ·
Scopes are generally in the you get what you pay for. A 150.00 scope is a 150.00 scope and one should not expect the same quality scope as a 800.00. For most average deer hunters shooting 200 yds and under most of the scopes out there will function well enough.
Your first bolded statement is true, but it's hard to justify the $800 optic on a $350 rifle (depending on what the OP is shooting). And that theory is what justifies the second bolded statement, which is that for most of us not on Jim Shockey TV, that a within 200-yard deer shot is easily handled and well within the capabilities of the $200 optic.

#12 ·
When it comes to optics Clarity and Brightness is what you are looking for. A 50mm obj. lens is designed to gather more available light. When researching a scope concentrate on the percentage of available light it gathers. Forget bells and whistles and spend on the lens!!

#13 ·
I have had and used leoupold scopes, but I use a Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 now and I like it better. very clear have to watch the light cuz it can get you in trouble being past shooting time but can still see it clear in scope

#14 ·
Nikons to me are better than Leopolds much clearer and brighter and their are some great scopes for a good bargain.For a little more 399$ i think the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 is untouchable at this price.I have four of them and Nikon Leupolds which i also have dont compare.IMHO

#16 ·
Everyone like their brand of scope best, so I'll just that all mine are Leupolds. My main comment has more to do with power than make. At the ranges you are talking about, I agree with Hunting Man that you could save money by getting a fixed power (I'd suggest 4X or less) OR you could spend the same amount and upgrade to a "better" brand.

#18 ·
Gee, lots of opinions here. I bought and used a lot of cheap scopes for years. I am now over that, done with that for any serious hunting rifles I now own. At the ranges you mention (under 100 yards should some who never bothered to take note) a quality scope in 1-4 or 2-7 will fill your bill the best. I think I know, owning about 35-40 big game rifles so topped.

At the lowest end of quality lies the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32; a fine scope and will make you smile 99% of the time. Better.... a 2-7x33 Leupold VX1 and also a 2-7x35 Burris FFII. I might know, I own them all.

Mt best recommendation.... do NOT get a 3-9x40 of any make or kind, you DO NOT NEED IT!! The lower powered scopes I mentioned are better choices (MORE FOV) and lower priced than are the higher powered quality scopes some mentioned.

My choice ...... a quality 1-4x20 for your needs, but I tire of listening to those who DO NOT OWN a QUALITY scope of that type. So, get a 2-7 of medium objective size AND of good quality and kill you some deer!! :biggrin:

#19 ·
Turner makes alot of sense....

The only thing that I noticed when I switched me Leopold 2.5x8 VXIII for a Leopold 1.5x5 VXIII was it was not as easy to group a real small cluster at 100 yards. I did like the larger field of view and additional eye relief. That was a hunting rifle and I loved the 1.5x5 on it.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.