Look out Deer here comes the Noslers... - Deer Hunting Forums
Reloading Discuss Bullets, Powders, Pellets, Brass, etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karl.Luhr

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Look out Deer here comes the Noslers...

My Son is going to shoot 165gr 30cal partitions this year. His Ruger M77 Hawkeye rifle in 30-06 isn't a fan of the ballistic tips from Nosler. I will be shooting Nosler 165gr 30cal ballistic tips in my Sako 30-06. Both will be powered by 52gr of Win760/H414. It is interesting to me that every rifle has a personality all its own.

Neither of us will worry about bullet performance if we get a shot.

Karl
gfdeputy2 likes this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Good Luck to You & your son Karl!

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Thanks we can use all the luck we can get

Has anyone ever SEEN an issue with the Nosler Ballistic Tips failing on a Deer? There is always someone writing about it happening but they usually aren't quoting actual experience they saw.

Karl
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
B&C 140 Class

Not actually seen, but heard hear-say. I think most failures that I have heard about usually involve high-powered rifles at very short shot distance. I recall one guy told me his bullet (325 WSM) passed right thru a doe at 13 yards. Duh! That bullet was moving so fast, never had a chance to expand and do any internal damage, and left with almost as much KE as it entered with. I've never been able to convince the hyper-magnum nuts that a bullet that passes thru does not deposit ALL of its energy into the animal since it is still leaving at a high rate of speed. Wrong tool for the job.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 AM
Scrub Buck

Hello Hunters,

I have been working at getting bang/flop hits on deer since the late 1950s. I began with a cut down Brit. 303cal. military rifle and factory ammo. If I did my job and made shoulder hits, the deer went down and stayed down. As I moved up the food chain a bit, I got a Ruger M77 in .243Win. No flames, please, but for me the .243Win. did not provide a wide enough wound channel and I did lose a few deer, when the blood trail ran out in heavy cover.

I moved up to .270Win. and 130gr. standard bullet design. I could have stayed with that combo, but I read too much. Not long before Jack O'Connor died, he said that if he were young again, he go with the .280 Remington cartridge, instead of the .270Win. I believed Jack and got my new rifle in .280Rem. and never looked back. I hand load, so no problems getting my ammo.

About the same time, again after reading too much, I went with lighter bullets in my hand loading, along with much higher muzzle velocity. The bonded bullets held together so much better than the older designs, that it was a no brainer to go to them and to lighter bullet weights.

Along with the lighter, bonded bullet idea, I wanted the higher velocity, because I cut my teeth on ground hog shooting and knew that bullet drop was a critical issue. After lots of observation on deer kills, I settled on the Nosler 7mm 120gr. Ballistic Tip (Hunting). That bullet is a stone killer and bang/flop producer. I get nice, wide wound channels and almost always a big exit hole that keeps the deer anchored, where they were hit.

The only complaint that I have heard from others, is that there is some meat loss with that bullet. My question has to be; are you willing to lose some meat in order to get a quick humane kill.

I have used the same load, with MV over 3000 fps, on everything from light weight pronghorns to large mule deer bucks, all with the same results. The only time I have changed bullets is on elk, when I went to 7mm 160gr. Barnes Solids, in order to assure that I could break a large bull's shoulder, if I had to do so. I have only taken two bulls. Both right at or near 300 yards. Because I was old and shaky and worn out from climbing, I had to hit both bulls more than once. However, both hits were killers, but the first hit did not knock him down, so of course, I kept shooting.

Please post back with your opinions and results?

Shoot straight in life,
Steven A.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:16 PM
B&C 200 Class

I do my best to stay away from shoulder shots on deer as the loss of so much meat isn't worth the shot. My son just harvested a nice 8pt in Ohio with a shoulder shot, most of the shoulder meat was lost. I prefer double lung or heart shot either will bring them down in seconds. I never got into re-loading especially late in life as factory ammo has advanced so much that I don't see the effort result in much gain. I now tend to shoot older rifles, Savage 99's in 300 sav and 250-3000 sav. Hope to locate another 375 Win or 444 marlin soon. Next year will probably find me toting a Marlin in 35 Remington for PA rifle season. I too think the 280 rem may be the best rifle for a one gun hunter. I was impressed with my son's new 220 savage bolt shotgun, very accurate and totes like a rifle.

Hunting Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode