Deer Hunting Forums banner

Primos Truth Cam 60

26K views 50 replies 4 participants last post by  1chance 
#1 ·
Hi y'all... Sorry it's been so long since I've been on here... summertime is hectic for me and I stay plenty busy. Got done cutting, raking, bailing hay early last week which I'm thankful for b/c the past two weeks have been scorcers for Missouri. Temps around 100 w/heat index around 110.

Anyways, I'm writing today in regards to my Truth Cam 60. Does anyone use this camera? Here's my problem... the past two times I've went and swapped out memory cards, the camera has been turned ALL the way OFF when I get to it. No one has access to it, that was my first guess... I know all these trail cams have "sleep mode" but does this cam turn all the way off when on sleep mode? When I approach my camera, I walk straight up to it. It should take at least 1 picture of me approaching it. It doesn't. There is over 50% battery life left on it too. I'm wondering if this is a defect or if this extreme heat is causing it to do funny things. Personally, it's really ticking me off b/c with 3 trail cams out I have yet to see one decent buck. The only buck I've seen the past 3 months is a button buck! Get this, the only does I've been seeing is last year's fawn does. I don't get it. I'm not doing anything differently this year and it has me worried. Don't know about you guys, but my adrenaline gets going 100 mph when I pull those cards and when I look at them and see NOTHING to write home about, it takes the air right out of me... Like someone done shot my dog or something. ha. Irritated..yes, majorly.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I got some good news... seems like Primos is a good company to deal with. Called them up and told them I didn't have a receipt and that I only had it since Christmas and they sent me an RMA (or whatever) number and they are going to replace it. I did mention that Wildgame Innovations does this with thier cams and I think they didn't want to be out-done by them. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting a new cam back and I may just sell it online and buy another moultrie.

Question for all of you... IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK TO BUY A TRAIL CAM AND HAVE IT WORK NORMALLY FOR 10+ YEARS? COMON' WITH ALL OUR TECHNOLOGY THESE DAYS, THEY CAN'T MAKE A TRAIL CAM WORTH A HOOT? :shocking:

#4 ·
Question for all of you... IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK TO BUY A TRAIL CAM AND HAVE IT WORK NORMALLY FOR 10+ YEARS? COMON' WITH ALL OUR TECHNOLOGY THESE DAYS, THEY CAN'T MAKE A TRAIL CAM WORTH A HOOT? :shocking:
Tator you know we were in the same boat with the WG cam's. My Bro-in law has had his Moultrie going on 6-7 years. I want to say it is a D-40?
My brother & friends have D55 & 65 IR's going on a few years all w/ no issues. with that & you talking about the D55IR I purchased one earlier this year I am happy. I sent my WG's in about 3X within this time frame
I am sticking w/ Moultrie till they give me a reason to change I will be buying another one shortly

#5 ·
Yeah I have the D55IR, and I love it. I have not had any problems with it and it's still going strong. Part of me wants to try the primos truth cam again, but part of me doesn't want to chance it again. What do you think GFD... what would you do? I'm leaning towards getting another moultrie... I DO have one WGI cam left and it's not doing too bad. Maybe it's the 1 in a thousand!! hahaha If it quits on me, I'm gonna send it back and def. get a moultrie.

#6 ·
Tator,
if it were up to me & I am not saying you should or shouldn't
I would stick to what works for me that is the Moultrie
Like I said I will stick w/ a company untill they give me a reason not to support them "Like WGI"
I love Primos stuff & they seem to be a very good company but have not used any of there cams
I know I researched them but I can't remember who makes them for Primos
I will look it up again

#7 ·
I use the Truth 35. But the hottest part of the year it was sitting in the basement. We had 2 on the lease for year solid. One hit the crapper about 3 weeks ago. They replaced it for free. I also wonder if the heat does a number on them.

We have 3 35's out now. Ill keep you posted on those. If mine hits the bucket I will take deputy's advice and go with a moultrie. I dont want to waste time sending them back etc.

#8 ·
To be honest with you all, I seriously think it was the sun/heat that got to my truth cam 60. The location I placed this cam was on a heavily travled fence line and it was in direct sun from around 11am till dark. The case on the camera was a real nice looking camo when I bought it, but it turned extremely DARK BRIGHT green when I finally pulled from the field. It was still camo, but it was like the sun made the camo turn almost chalkboard green. ?????
Anyways, It's in the mail and going back to the company for a new one. Finally got a buck on my last WGI cam, he was a 4 pointer with no brows.... but still FINALLY A BUCK! haha

#10 ·
My D55IR has been out since I got it march or so
we had temps ranging from 20 to over 90 degrees the only thing so far that seem to be affected are the batteries & still on the same set with over 50% life left
I will say here in NH we don't get 100's of pic's a day though
It has taken over 100 since I put it up

#11 ·
I've had my D55ir out since late Jan and it's still doing fine. Here in MO we have COLD winters and HOT summers, so I need a trail cam that's going to be able to take both conditions. I guess we'll see if the moultrie makes it through the winter, then I'll be sold completely. I'm still itching to try the bushnell that ronn talked so much about. He was sold on them and got me persuaded to try them out sometime. They are like $150 or so last time i checked. Still haven't heard back from primos, but it's still early, I'm expecting them to send my new one back by the end of next week. I'm just not sure what to do with it?!?!

Oh and one other thing- I will say this about my D55ir, I have noticed I get fewer blank pics (ones with NO animal on them). With that primos and WGI seemed like I got lots of pics that were blanks.

#12 ·
I agree I noticed that also the other thing I like is you can get them on EBAY new for under $100
the only thing I can say I don't like about the D55IR & it is not a big deal is it does not have on-board memory so make sure you alway's have a spare SD card with you

#15 ·
Since you mentioned the bushnell... One of our cams is a bushnell.. (im sure you can tell from the pics Ive been posting.) It came from walmart for around $150 I think. Its has not messed up yet and its 2 to 3 years old.

Not to sound like a woman on the phone explaining her new outfit.... but is the camera dark green and about 6in tall by 4 in wide? That's the one I'm talking about... I didn't get the model number off it.

:bag:

#16 ·
Another 2 primos truth cam 35's crapped out. These are from a guy that used to be on our lease. I still see the dude everyday at work and trust what he says. He sent them back and primos didnt have anymore of the 35's at the moment so they are sending him 2 of the next size up. Thats 3 out of 5 that have stopped working in about 1 year out of the group I hunt and hang around with. Not good odds in my book.

#18 ·
Well some more bad news on the 35's

We run 2 35's that have never messed up.. They are about 1 year old..

We run 1 35 that was refurbished and sent as a replacement for one that messed up. Today we check the cams and 2 of the them screwed up. The refurbished one and the one thats been out for about a year solid. Mine is the only one still working and its been in the woods less time than all the other ones.

The bushnell is still doing ok we think. We didnt have but 3 pics on it but the batteries were dead.

I will say this though. Customer service seems ok. They are sending 2 of the 46's. They said they dont make the 35's anymore. I can see why they quit making those cheapos.

#19 ·
So you have a total of 4 bad cameras?
that stinks
I will try to post some pic's from my D55IR for you
So far everything is working fine with it & have read very few complaints with it
mostly was trigger speed but there is an update to shorten it (new ones come with the update) most other problems were with the Sd cards I hear they can be picky with what brand you use but I have 3 or 4 different ones & no issues

#21 ·
I really wanted to try one of those but those odds are not good at all
sounds like what Tator & I went though w/ the WGI cam's but at least yours all went at the same time. seemed like I was shipping bad cams weekly

#22 ·
WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!?!?!?

HAHAHA! Primos has a new cam in the mail to me as we speak. They said it should arrive tomorrow. I think I'm just going to ebay it and be done with them. Now I'm torn between buying another D55ir or a bushnell??? anyone got a coin?? I still do have one WGI out and it seems to be doing half way ok. Maybe it's the 1 in 1,000 that actually works. But you can rest assured, the day it goes bad it's getting shipped back.

ALSO- for all you guys out there who are spending all your hard earned money on these trail cams, don't waste your time with the warranty card. All these companies have a 1 year return policy and I have yet to produce a reciept or fill out a warranty card. They have never asked me how old the cam is either. In my eyes, the cam could be 5 years old and if it stops I'm calling the company and demanding a replacement. TO ME, $150+ is alot of money, and if I'm going to pay that, it better work a HECK of a lot longer than just 5 years or so. NEVER NEVER NEVER just put the cam away and think they won't send you a new one because it's 2 years old or whatever.... CALL THEM, they want your business. I can't think of a business right now in the hunting community that is MORE competitive. IF they hastle you,,, tell them you're going with another company from now on. Just my opinion guys, to me, it's worth getting a new one shipped to me. I don't have $150+ to throw away,,, even if it was purchased 5 years ago.

#23 ·
WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?!?!?!?

HAHAHA! Primos has a new cam in the mail to me as we speak. They said it should arrive tomorrow. I think I'm just going to ebay it and be done with them. Now I'm torn between buying another D55ir or a bushnell??? anyone got a coin?? I still do have one WGI out and it seems to be doing half way ok. Maybe it's the 1 in 1,000 that actually works. But you can rest assured, the day it goes bad it's getting shipped back.

ALSO- for all you guys out there who are spending all your hard earned money on these trail cams, don't waste your time with the warranty card. All these companies have a 1 year return policy and I have yet to produce a reciept or fill out a warranty card. They have never asked me how old the cam is either. In my eyes, the cam could be 5 years old and if it stops I'm calling the company and demanding a replacement. TO ME, $150+ is alot of money, and if I'm going to pay that, it better work a HECK of a lot longer than just 5 years or so. NEVER NEVER NEVER just put the cam away and think they won't send you a new one because it's 2 years old or whatever.... CALL THEM, they want your business. I can't think of a business right now in the hunting community that is MORE competitive. IF they hastle you,,, tell them you're going with another company from now on. Just my opinion guys, to me, it's worth getting a new one shipped to me. I don't have $150+ to throw away,,, even if it was purchased 5 years ago.
The madness will end when you buy a Moultrie LOL
Man I should go work for them
I don't have the cash either to throw away & I have less time to keep shipping cameras back as well
from the reviews on either the Moultries or Bushnells they both seem to be the best choices in the lower priced cameras
I just ordered a second D55IR myself

#24 ·
Well I'm set to have my new primos 60 delivered today... kinda hoping they send me a higher up model b/c when I called I asked them if they are having lots of problems with the 60 and they said YES! Plus, if they send me the next higher one, that'll be more $$ in my pocket to get another moultrie or bushnell. I'm really tempted on the bushnell, but my mind is more at ease with the moultrie since I already have one. what to do, what to do....

#26 ·
Tator
Go w/ the Bushnell with your luck I don't want the Moultries to start crapping out too :w00t:

Ain't that the truth! haha Got the primos cam "replacement" in the mail today, getting ready to place it on EBAY. They sent me the same cam back, the 60.

I didn't think of this,,, but if anyone wants to buy it off me I'll be more than willing to sell it. This is a BRAND NEW CAM in the package. I had one before and it stopped working, I sent it back and they sent me this. BTW- it's the Primos Truth Cam 60 (IR)

MAKE AN OFFER.... You may get surprised... PM me.

#27 ·
Just checked ebay and the Moultrie D55ir's are going for around $85 with FREE SHIPPING. Just wanted to pass that info along b/c my wal-mart has them for $117 and last Christmas I bought one on sale for $100 (reg $120) at Dick's. Good trail cam guys and gals, here's a pic of what they look like:

Super easy to use- but I do recommend reading the manual b/c if you don't it will be confusing-- once you read the book, they are a sinch to figure out.

ALSO,,, Here is the Bushnell Trophy Cam XLT I've been talking about wanting to try. This is the one Ronn talked so much about and has sparked my interest. Wal-mart has them at $147, but ebay is much higher (around $180-$200 w/shipping not included).

#28 ·
Just checked ebay and the Moultrie D55ir's are going for around $85 with FREE SHIPPING. Just wanted to pass that info along b/c my wal-mart has them for $117 and last Christmas I bought one on sale for $100 (reg $120) at Dick's. Good trail cam guys and gals, here's a pic of what they look like:

Yup I should have said that better when I said they were on EBAY for
under $100

GOOD LUCK SELLING THAT THING HERE NOW LOL

#29 ·
Well I'd be willing to part with it for $150 w/shipping or $160 w/free shipping. They retail around $179. I may take $140... but you'll have to send me copies of every buck you ever take with it. lol

BRAND NEW GUYS... PRIMOS TRUTH CAM 60, NEW IN PACKAGE.

#31 ·
I haven't even had time to put the truth cam on ebay yet!! I've been running around here like a chicken with it's head cut off. Anyways, I think I'm going to go with the bushnell, but the moultrie M-80 is looking mighty nice to me as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.