Compact Hunting Binocs - Deer Hunting Forums
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Compact Hunting Binocs

I normally carry a pair of binocs when hunting, and I detest those folks who glass an area using the riflescope. I've had rifles pointed at me too many times that way by folks who were "just looking around". Normally I carry a small set of Bushnell 8x25's or Leupold BX-1 Rogue 10x25's. I've been looking at Vortex's lineup and like the Vanquish 10x26 compact binocs. Anybody use these? Not enough stores in my area to go try a pair, so am hoping to find someone with experience.

Thanks.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
B&C 200 Class

Bushnell Legends 8x42 for me. Good enough for deer hunting in most places.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
I've been looking at Vortex's lineup and like the Vanquish 10x26 compact binocs. Anybody use these?

Thanks.
My son just bought a pair of Vortex binos and it may be those but I'm not sure of the model. He likes them pretty good. They seem to be good and clear and work well in fairly low light. How they will hold up over time I don't know, like I say he just bought them a couple weeks ago. Doesn't Vortex have a lifetime warranty?

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

I have a bigger pair of Vortex, the kind we use for whale watching on the boat or watching eagles at play, but I would like to see a pair next to my current Leupold's. There are lots of grey, dark days here during hunting season, so light gathering is the key trait needed.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

Scorp I use the Bushnell Legacy 8x42 and I love them. They are not too bulky but not too small either. Had them for years and will probably never give them up. I hate looking through my scope for viewing, in fact, I stay on my binocs for quite some time before I put the rifle up for a shot...

James 1:2-8
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Scrub Buck

I agree, anything with a 25 mm objective is going to be hard on the eye's long time viewing and will not be so great in low light
due to I am lazy, and try to carry as little as I can when bow hunting, I personally got a nice used pair of 10x42 and made monocular's out of them by cutting in half, I get good enough field of view, and takes up a LOT less space on me, but use this for not so wide open places
other wise I carry a 10x42 bino when hunting out west in wider open terrian
brand of bino's
there is a reason some get more $$, its the edge to edge clarity and light transmission that makes they worth the $$$, IF and ONLY IF< you spend HRS behind them, they will save you tons of headaches from glassing for long periods of time
for most folks middle of the road glass is fine, just try if possible to get to look at things 70-100 yards away and look at distortion from edge of view to edge of view, on CHEAP glass you will really see the difference here, even on scopes and what not's

I sold optic's for a long time, and trust me, from one SAME exact model bino to another you can see a difference, its like pick of the litter at times
on higher end things, you get more consistent on quality, but low to middle end??
look before you buy!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
B&C 140 Class

I agree make sure whatever you buy is lightweight

I have a set of 30 year old Zeiss armored 8x30 binos. They are wonderful but heavy, the 10x40s were even heavier at the time. I always liked the B&L 7x26 autobon models. These were not waterproof buy lighter and easier to carry. Elk hunting I sometimes left my Zeiss's with my coat on the horse prior to leaving the horses to head after the Elk. I did get dents in my buttstock on my Ruger No 1 from the Zeiss's swinging into the stock wearing them around my neck.

Karl
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Well, I now have the Leupold 10x25's, Pentax 10x25's and Vortex 10x26's (yea, they had to go one "more" than 25). They're all about the same, and all pretty good for the size and capability limitations. Yes, I am a gadget-accumulator. The Leupold are bright, but no one seems to gather much more light than any other. I like the Vortex focus adjustment best, and the Pentax the least. All of them are easy to carry in the field, and suitable for just plain wildlife viewing or hiking. Sure, there are more powerful, crisper sets of optics, but not at this size & price range.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Actually the Pentax are 8x24's....

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode