New to Muzzleloading - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Grandpa1

New to Muzzleloading

A little backround.I have hunted deer for 46 years with a 30-30 and a .243.I attended a household auction and they had 3 muzzleloaders. 2 were percussion with rusty rifling.The other one was a Traditions flintlock Deerhunter in new condition.I bought the flintlock for 90 bucks.I would appreciate some advice as I may use it in Pennsylvania's October muzzleloader hunt.It is a 50 caliber.Thank You.
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Welcome to the site Grandpa1. Hunting Man is a ML'er and hunts PA as well. I'm sure that he can help you out alot.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
B&C 200 Class

hello and welcome to the site from Ohio. Grandpa, I've hunted the Clearfield, Duboise area since 1974. While I archery hunt the rut during the first 9 days of November and follow that with late season flintlock hunting. I have not hunted ML in the early October season. I'm thinking you need to start some shooting to get used to the slight hesitation of a flintlock due to the pan firing the main charge is slightly slower than an in-line ml. You will need to get main charge powder in 3f , and also priming powder in 4f grandulation. I prefer real black powder for flintlocks and it might be messier to clean up I like the traditional part of using flintlocks and black powder. You're going to need to know what rate of barrel twist you have ie 1-28" for conical bullets, 1-48 for either a round ball or conical or 1-70" for patched round balls. I'd start with 80 grs of 3f powder and keep the priming pan filled only about 1/4 not to cover the touch hole inlet to the barrel. For round balls go with a 490 gr ball and a pre-lubed tc .010 patch. If your rifle shoots conicals then something like a Buffalo bullet or TC maxi-hunter for 50 cals would work. . As far as flints try TC sawed flints as they seem to strike a good shower of sparks and seem to last longer than black/yellow real flints. This is some random thoughts for now, ask anything you want and somebody will help you! Good hunting.
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
B&C 140 Class

Welcome GP from Williamsport,Pa
daddus
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
B&C 120 Class

I have a 1 in 66 twist. I've been told round balls are inferior to powerbelts for killing deer. I've always tried to place my shots through the lungs with the 30-30 and ,243 so they bleed out.Would a round ball through the lungs do the job?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
B&C 120 Class

My new username is 3212.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
B&C 200 Class

the problem is you can't stablize a conical or saboted bullet in a slow twist barrel having anything slower than a 1-48" twist. Round balls through the lungs will do the job just fine. There is one hybrid conical called the PA ballet. I've use them for several years with good flight results out of my TC PA hunter flintlock. They can be hard to find but an internet search should come up with some. They are made by Hornady and state that they are for a 1-66" twist. Weight is 240 gr. Watch the game laws regarding late season bullet requirements. PA is constantly changing their regs.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 AM
B&C 120 Class

Slow twist rifling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
the problem is you can't stablize a conical or saboted bullet in a slow twist barrel having anything slower than a 1-48" twist. Round balls through the lungs will do the job just fine. There is one hybrid conical called the PA ballet. I've use them for several years with good flight results out of my TC PA hunter flintlock. They can be hard to find but an internet search should come up with some. They are made by Hornady and state that they are for a 1-66" twist. Weight is 240 gr. Watch the game laws regarding late season bullet requirements. PA is constantly changing their regs.
Thanks for the info.Ill look for them.I was at a gun sale and bought a lot box of muzzy supplies.I got a lot of round balls in .45,50 and 54 caliber.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM
B&C 120 Class

New to muzzleloading

I made my second trip to the range with the flintlock.I worked my way through the various issues with a flintlock and got my best group with 70 grains of black powder behind a .50 cal. roundball.It was 3 shots in 5 inches at 50 yds.I don't know if 70 grains is enough powder for deerhunting.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

should be fine for around 85 yards or so. I normally use 110gr 3f in my traditions flintlock with a .490 round ball and .018 " blue-white" patches for 100 yards but that 100 yards looks like a mile away when using a flinter LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode