need help with choosing a gun - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

need help with choosing a gun

I'm new to the forum and to muzzle loading. After a terrible season this year in northern Wi. my friends and I decided to try ML for next season. The three of us have 3 different views on first timer guns. I've read review after review on Cabelas site and multiple others only to get more confused $140 gun vs. $500 gun..OY

The low end winner seems to be the CVA Wolf the higher end T/C Bone Collector. The mid range that I thought looked good but haven't really seen any reviews on is the Traditions Vortech, does anyone here have any input on this rifle.
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Scrub Buck

Vortek

I sent you a private message of a site to go to to read about the Vortek. Not allowed to put sites on public forums.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
ronn

i truly believe you get what you pay for most times. after looking at them for years and years and owning one i'm not a cva fan. i love the savage smokeless ml. savage is the only one i know of that you can use smokeless.

Last edited by ronn; 01-07-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

I bought a brand new Knight KP1 last year for $200 and haven't looked back since. I was going to buy a CVA Wolf but a luckily a guy told me where a really good deal was.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hey Lonetour welcome to the site. There are a lot of good folks on here that will give you great information.
As far as a muzzleloader one thing to be considered is how much to spend,
the fellows above gave some good insight but if you want to spend more, I don't know how much you hunt, a Thompson Pro Hunter is great because you then have the base platform for a lot of calibers. But it can get expensive real fast! I may also depend if your significant other doesn't mind.
Just a thought, all the above will do the job.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Thanks everyone for the advice! Daddus I looked at the Pro Hunter at Cabellas last week and yep it can get pretty expensive. They had an action in the showcase for $440 then I would just need to get the barrel for another $335 not a bad way to go but I don't really need the versatility.
Joem the article Toby wrote is what got me interested in the Vortech originally. It sounded like an awesome gun and it's about $200 less than the T/C Bone Collector.
I just can't find any reviews from people that have actually hunted with it. I liked the idea of a ported barrel but it seems like that would be just another way moisture can get in as well. So I'm not really sure that would be practical either,it can get pretty wet in Wi and IL where I hunt.
Oh well the search goes on! Thanks again !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM

The Traditions Vortek Muzzleloader? I don't have one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

I forgot to mention that you can get different barrels for the Knight KP1. Rimfire, shotgun and rifle. The rifle barrels are about $100 less the T/C barrels.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 AM
B&C 120 Class

I would not hesitate on the Vortek. If I was going to get a new black powder gun it would be between this and a CVA Accura. Whatever you decide on, I would definitely go with a break open and hand removeable breach plug, way more painless than digging out the wrench each time to clean up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Those were definitely the features I was looking for Tom. Just wish I could find someone that actually hunts with the Traditions Vortech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode