distance with a muzzel - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
taz

distance with a muzzel

i just bought a cva from local hunting store had him install a scope , our local gunsmith sighted it a 150 , what distance with a good bullet should it shoot
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

I think 150 is too far. It should be sighted in at 100. Even all of your range finding scopes are to be sighted at 100. A rifle maybe but not a muzzle loader.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

Personally, I sight mine in at 75 yards and I shoot out to 100 yards. I too think 150 yards is a little far, mostly because the muzzle velocity is slow and the bullet drops quite a bit. I would say 100 yards or 75 yards is a good range. All the deer I have ever shot have been 60 yards or closer.
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM

I agree with wmi, Ideally, muzzleloaders should be sighted in at 100 yards.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

I do not believe a muzzleoader is only capable at 100 yards or less.On the last day of muzzleloading season,I shot a doe at 138 yards(meassured with a laser rangefinder)it dropped in its tracks.100 grains of Shockeys gold powder and a 270 grain powerbelt platinum.Now I agree that it should be sighted in at 100 yards,but I do not believe muzzleloaders are a 100 yard or less gun.Maybe I am just reading the responses wrong,but I don't have a problem shooting over 150 yards with a muzzleloader.My oldest son killed his first deer with my muzzleloader at a measured 178 yards,it went about 10 yards.I am not advocating shooting at a distance you are not comfortable with.I live in the country with no neighbors and get to practice all I want.Maybe thats why I am comfortable with the longer shots.

Knight:Born To Hunt
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
taz

i got my gun back last night , the gunsmith said it is right on but i will find out this weekend , i already paid himm so i will give it a try , i hope it works out , let you all know the results.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbighunter View Post
I do not believe a muzzleoader is only capable at 100 yards or less.
I do not believe muzzleloaders are a 100 yard or less gun.Maybe I am just reading the responses wrong,but I don't have a problem shooting over 150 yards with a muzzleloader..
I dont think anyone said a muzzleloader is only capable of 100 yard shots or less.
what was said was that, muzzleloaders are typically sighted in at 100 yards.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot out to 150 yards with my Muzzleloader.

-Benjamin Franklin

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Muzzle loader Sighting

It all depends on the terrain you hunt and your comfort level. For example i hunt in an area that has dense pines and scattered oaks amongst them. Im not getting a shot off any longer than 60 yards. I sight my rifle in at 75 yds. If your wide open sight it in at 100. you want to compensate for farther distances than 100 but this depends on your charge and bullet size. just make sure you hit it hard and drop it for a clean kill. Compensation for longer distances can only be done at the range. I use two triple seven magnum pellets with a 275 grain powerbelt platinum and my compensation is half an inch per 50 yards. The muzzle velocity is around 1200 fps. Dead on Brother. I shoot a Thompson center Triumph ( gotta support the local NH Gunmaker even though SW owns them now.) Hope this helps.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

2 pellets? 275 grain? Only 1/2" for every 50 yards----Come on that getting really deep. Time for Bruce to pull out his ballistic charts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM

According to my Calcumations, Cuz I'ma little Edumucated,, LOL the deer are in the woods and
if you can hit a target BullsEye accurately at 50/60/70 even 100 yards then Go Hunting!

-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode