bad opening day - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

bad opening day

Here in PA yesterday Oct.17 was opening day for muzzleloader. It was a terrible day. It was snowing and raining,there was snow on the ground and snow on the trees. The trees kept breaking so the deer never came around.It rained most of the day so when we were walking around some water got down the barrel and in the breech and on the primer.Since all that water got in in got the pyrodex pellets all wet and soggy. I didn't realize how much water got in. Finally after not seeing anything we went back to the truck. I guess it is a good thing that we didn't see anything because when I shot the gun to put it away it shot about ten feet and didn't even kick because the pellets were ruined.

"Second is just the first loser." Dale Earnhardt
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
B&C 200 Class

This happened to us last late season where it snowed so hard the main charges were turned to mush. Hopefully you get some good weather to get out again.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Me and a few friends made it up to north western PA three weeks ago. Luckily we missed all of the snow. I don't think being from the south I would have enjoyed all of the snow and ice, although I am sure it is beautiful(and I have always wanted to hunt in the snow). I would assume it would make for some real easy tracking.

I can only imagine the disgusting feeling you would have had if you waited for a few hours in the snow and that twelve point monster walked out, only to find that your gun was not in operable condition.
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
B&C 160 Class

man i read the title of this thread and was going to post " there is no such thing as a bad day in the woods" but after reading the post. all i can say is wow that realy stinks, and im glad you dident see one couse that would realy stink to have shot at one and had a malfunction ruin the shot and possibly wound the deer. i just learned alot from this post as i am new to muzzle loaders. thanks for posting it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
B&C 120 Class

After reading about your "bad Day" I still feel believe that any day out hunting is far from being a bad day. There are a few lessons learned here that you could apply to future hunts in "extreme" weather. One is to put a small piece of electrical tape over the end of your muzzle. This will not affect the departing bullet but will keep water, snow, dirt, and all out, preventing your powder from getting wet from that end. As far as the reciever, I've seen cut plastic bags or sarran wrap put around any possible openings to prevent water from entering. When in doubt about the powder charge, find a dry spot like an overhang or thick tree and pull the bullet and reload.

Last year opening day rifle here in NY brought heavy rain all day long. We all managed to hunt all day with no deer seen but had a great time. You should have seen the local laundry mat that evening. Best of luck on future hunts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode