MuzzleLoader Recommendations - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

MuzzleLoader Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and hopefully I won't stir up too much controversy. I am currently living in southeast Georgia around Moody AFB, just to give you an idea of the terrain I will be hunting. I have always wanted to hunt with a muzzleloader, but have been scared to pay too much for one that didn't do the job. I still don't want to pay too much for one, but I would like to know of the many out there, which are the best bang for the buck. Also a side note: Does anyone know if they make a youth model?

v/r
John
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
ronn

welcome from nh. you're going to get a ton of preferences. I like my savage ml 10, t/c makes a wide choice. I personally have the savage ranked # 1 for me, a t/c renegade side lock in 54 good gun, and a cva 150 magnum. I will probably never spend money on another cva, i dislike it that much. one other thing to keep in mind, you generally get what you pay for. good hunting
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Good Deals On Muzzleloaders...

John;

Knight Rifles succumbed to the economy earlier this year, and shut down their operation. Right now there are some great deals on some of their top end models...as much as 40- to 50-percent off of their original retail price.

I have one of their Long Range Hunter models that now has right at 6,400 rounds through it...and one of their older MK-85 models that also has 6,000+ rounds through it. And they both perform and shoot beautifully.

Each of these rifles have about 6 typical lifetimes of shooting through them. You won't wear one out in your lifetime...and they perform excellently on big game.

I heard that Cabela's had some great closeouts on some of the Knight models...might be a great place to start looking.

Toby Bridges
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Greetings from Vermont gadawg31, welcome to the club..
Ronn's right you're probably going to get a wide list of what others use and prefer.
I use a Traditions Pursuit LT Break-Open in full mossy oak break up camo. Traditions Won Filed and Streams Best of the Best Award for 2008.
I'm not saying my Traditions muzzleloader is better than any of the others but based on Performance, durability and design you're going to pay a LOT more on the Competitors Muzzleloaders.
Which Ever you choose, Good Luck and happy safe hunting...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

I agree.Savage makes a great muzzle loader,Bruce,I had the same gun you have and loved it.I now have the Knight KP1.Why?I don't really have a real preference,but I have owned several Knights and really liked them.Everyone is going to have an answer about the one they like,but it will come down to what feels best and the one you like.And of course$$.Good luck,muzzle loading season is my favorite.

Knight:Born To Hunt
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
B&C 200 Class

Welcome from Ohio. I like T/C products. They're higher in cost but you get it in the resale end if you decide to sell one later. I think Knight rifles were also quality products. I also am not a CVA person. I don't own Traditions or Savage muzzleloaders. I do enjoy shooting flintlocks.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM

well I can't say CVA is best but unlike Ronn I have had very good luck with my 150 Hunter Magnum. I am no Donald Trump no where near I generally have to go with the less expensive weapons & it has served me very well. don't take the Donald Trump thing the wrong way what I am saying is that when it comes down to the "hobbies" I just don't have a lot of extra cash for some of the toys I would like.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 AM
B&C 160 Class

i guss the best advice i can give on this one is that there are alot of nice ones out there and some not so nice ones. go to a reputible local gun shop and get the one that seuts you best. chances are you wont go wrong unless you end up buying it from the sporting goods dept. at your local walmart.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
i guss the best advice i can give on this one is that there are alot of nice ones out there and some not so nice ones. go to a reputible local gun shop and get the one that seuts you best. chances are you wont go wrong unless you end up buying it from the sporting goods dept. at your local walmart.
I don't know what your local wal-mart sells but my local wal-mart sells Knight (if they have any left),
Thompson Center Arms, CVA and Traditions muzzleloaders.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of those brands.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
B&C 160 Class

youl have to forgive me. had a verry bad experiance buying a gun off of walmart and would not recomend them to any one for any reason no matter what brand they sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode