Is Blackhorn BH209 as good as I read? - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Is Blackhorn BH209 as good as I read?

I have read nothing but good things about BH209 and would like to know if they are true. No swabbing between shots, better velocities, easy cleanup,no crud ring, etc. Has anyone here ever tried it?
I have a new Omega and would like to try BH209 but don't want to spend the money if it's not any better than Pyrodex pellets.
Any help available here?
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM

havent tried it but if it does all that might be worth a look,im guessing by the name it was designed to be used with the 209 primers so thats a plus
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Black horn is as good as you read i used it all last year to hunt deer, Problem is the price. I would not use it other than for hunting, way too expensive to target practice with for me. It cleans up very easy, no swabbing between shots( i shot twenty shots in a row at the range, no swabbing and accuracy was excellent) and not corrosive like other powders. It also does not soak up moisture. I say its an excellent powder that i use just for hunting season. hope this helps
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Scrub Buck

Blackhorn209 requires shotgun 209 primers. 209muzzleloader primers have trouble igniting BH209.

New here, great site.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
ronn

sorry no idea but welcome from nh
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

BH is good stuff

Hi rogo,
I'm just a spike buck but that is because I have lived awhile and probably past my physical prime.
Started BP hunting about ten years ago, wasn't to good at it.
Started with a knight, then the one with the little disc in it then the pro hunter by encoreTC. used pyrodex, bp 777 for years, got a little better, finally my cousin talked me into to loose blackhorn and now i do a lot better.
it is remarkably clean but if you have the chance i would still clean every few shots, maybe just a dry rag or swab. and of course at the end of season really give er a good swabbing
I'm now shooting a .45 cal pro hunter with a Bergara barrel and can hold 2" at a hundred. If you are any good at all you will do better but hey i do what i can.
BH is pretty expensive but i feel what is a 160 or 170 class buck worth. It's like oil for your car you run the best you can afford because engines are a lot more expensive. I shoot 110 gr of blackhorn with a 200 gr hornady and it moves along pretty good. Bh loose when you get up to 120 grain your pressures are pretty close to max.
Let me know how you make out.
But just come back safe!

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-05-2009 at 05:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I have heard nothing but Good about Blackhorn 209 and as soon as I need more supplies I'm going to make the switch to it for myself.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Smile Blackhorn 209

Just an update. Since I first made this post a year ago I have since bought and used Blackhorn 209. I will never go back to Pyrodex pellets again! This stuff is the cat's meow as far as I am concerned. A little pricey but I believe it averages out in the long run. No patches used up between shots, no special cleaning supplies needed except Hoppe's #9 which I already had for my regular rifles. No loss in accuracy, actually accuracy has improved with BH209. Shot 27 loads last time at the range with no swabbing and great accuracy. Second and all consecutive shots load much easier with no crud ring.
I do however suggest you clean your rifle after you are done shooting. Don't let your gun sit around for weeks before cleaning. The powder itself is non-moisture absorbing but the residue after firing is not. It will absorb moisture and cause rusting. So use you common sense and clean your gun.
Good luck to all who try it, I am convinced you will love it too!
By the way 120gr by volume is the maximum load with BH209. That is equal to 150gr Pyrodex pellets.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
B&C 140 Class

My mistake

Sorry rogo,
Good thing brucebruce is here to correct me 120 gr is max for Blackhorn!
daddus1, i guess thay"s why I'm a scrub buck.
daddus1
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
B&C 200 Class

started using Blackhorn this fall, I like it even at the high cost. However, I didn't see any easier clean-up or extra shos between swabbing. My hands were just as black after shooting it compared to other powders. I do like the low smoke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode