Removing a loaded round after BP hunting - Deer Hunting Forums
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Removing a loaded round after BP hunting

My Son was out hunting this past weekend with his TC 54cal BP inline. He removed the cap after hunting and left the charge in the bore. His kit he got from his future Grandpa-in-law contained a bullet puller that screws into the ramrod. I screwed it on and removed the lead bullet. Unfortunately he is hunting with TC powerbelt bullets. It's a solid lead hollow point with a plastic base attached at the back of the bullet. The plastic base stayed in the rifle after I removed the lead bullet. My only choice now is to take the rifle to the range and fire it, blasting out the plastic base and powder charge. It seams like there should be a better way to get ahold of the plastic base and pull it out. The bullet remover will not get a good hold on the base. I have told him to just fire it at the end of shooting time for now on and we will just clean it.

Karl
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 PM
B&C 200 Class

Karl, doesn't the breach plug remove? Most newer in-lines are finger tight removal. I would always be hesitant firing with a known potential blockage. A double wire patch puller might grab it. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

It's an old T/C system 1 BP rifle

My Son's BP rifle was bought by his finance's Grandpa 15-20 years ago. It's a T/C system one in 54cal. It is possible to disassemble the rifle and swap barrels to other BP calibers if you have the replacement barrels. The breach is not easy to remove. He hunted again this weekend and fired the load off at the end of the day. I have it all cleaned up and oiled where it will sit until the weather gets warm. He is already looking at modern replacements he really wants a modern breach that allows him to push out the load at the end of the day. I personally would also want the 209 shotgun primers instead of the top hat percussion caps he has to use.

Karl
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM
B&C 200 Class

Certainly a lot easier to clean. 209's fire hot and there is a lot of difference in various 209 makers. My old TC Firehawk shoots musket caps also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Scrub Buck

I've wondered the same thing. I have a traditional cap lock patch and ball (Traditions Hawkens). If I'm hunting all day unsuccessfully, I don't think I want to then go shot my loaded round and spook everything in the woods.

I figured using a ball puller is the only option other than firing?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM
B&C 200 Class

I always fire at the end of the day then clean the rifle each night. I figure it gives me that ready to go feeling the next day and not worry if it will go off when needed.

Hunting Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode