trophy hunting or meat hunting - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

trophy hunting or meat hunting

Just wondering how many of you guys consider yourselves to be trophy hunters and how many consider yourselves meat hunters and how many are both? Also, how many of you set a minimum standard as to what you are looking for in a buck? (if not a trophy by B.C. standards, at least a certain number of points or size, etc. - or it walks.) My standard for bucks is 8 points or more, but I also do meat hunts for antelope and elk. (Those two taste so good, it would be a real shame not to put one in the freezer because of what might NOT be on its head)!
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM
ronn

Its a thought provoking question onehorse. I'm both or neither or one or the other. I can turn up the trophy thermostat if thats what i'm after or down if I'm after meat. I guess if i get a deer or two in the freezer then i hunt for what i consider a trophy. does passing little ones make me a trophy hunter? i don't know but i'm trying not to shoot 1.5 old bucks but if time is running out and i got nothing in the freezer there is a chance i would take him.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
B&C 140 Class

"Trophy or not to trophy that is the question?" a lot in my circumstances depends where you are hunting, i am assuming deer? but it could be anything.
I some areas there is no potential for trophy animals so we do as the normal for the area.
But the real trophy is sitting down to a cubed venison steak with a little gravy on and topped with some butter fried mushrooms.
Just the opinion of a food addict.
daddus1
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Onehorse as you well know, here in Vermont the hunters can't be too strict on what they choose to harvest.
Ideally I'd like a mature buck with a minimum of 6 points during the Vermont archery or rifle seasons,
I'm not fussy on which doe to take out, a doe of any size during the archery season is acceptable But
if the Muzzleloader season arrives and my freezers empty of venison, then I'm simply looking for any legal harvest.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM
B&C 200 Class

Any deer is a trophy depending what I'm using to harvest it with. In PA archery three on one side is miminum for bucks. I like to locate a legal buck and start the chess game. With flintlocks in late season is usually trying to fill doe tags or leftover tags. So I guess I'm a freezer kind of guy who tries to shoot the best buck in the area and settles for a legal buck. I don't have the time to be a true trophy hunter and I don't hunt an area that produces big bucks, thats my choise! I also value my close hunting buddies and that plays into things too.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

Its meat first. the trophy is the bonus. I generally buy 4 tags at the start of the season which allows me to shoot anything that passes the stand without jeopardizing any opportunity to shoot a trophy that comes along afterward. cheap insurance by any other name. and I can allways go but additional tags if necessary.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

140+/4.5 years old +. I like big old bucks, the little guys just don't do it for me. Love to watch them but if I shoot one he is going to the taxidermist. I hunt for the challenge. Knock on wood I have been very fortunate never to go without fresh venison. It may take me awhile to locate, pattern, and give a dirt nap to one but it is all about the hunt not always the kill. Just love a fist full of bone.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

wmi,

I tried to pm you, but was blocked from doing so. you may want to reconsider your last comment.

I am sure everyone knows what you mean, but.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 AM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

Nah, it will give everyone a laugh. Good entertainment. Pardon the pickle.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Any deer is a trophy depending what I'm using to harvest it with. I don't have the time to be a true trophy hunter and I don't hunt an area that produces big bucks, thats my choise!
As do I HM, hunt in an area that the bucks are small. We have a saying that a spike is a Bergton 11 pointer. I believe they don't get a chance to age due to poaching to feed their families but I could be wrong! Anyways I have to say for me it's to fill the freezer. I'm 34 years old and have been hunting for as long as I can remember and this past season is the first time have had anything mounted. I don't see anything wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat goes somewhere and not wasted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode