trophy hunting or meat hunting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM

I'm a bad hunter.

Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
I'm a bad hunter.
hahahahaseems i've seen some nice antlers somewherein pics from you. i may be wrong though
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Both!!!!!! Bow season is usually take the does out and find some food. Closer to rut during ML and rifle season my mood changes to buck hunting. Not to say I will not take a doe during the later part of the season (because we always have to thin our herd in TN) I am just alot less likely to take a doe. When it comes to what size buck I will take it depends on which spot I am hunting.

On my lease where we try to manage it has to be at least a 6 pointer but each of us usually hold off on those unless we havent shot a deer yet. We usually wait for what we would consider a wall hanger or good buck in TN. 110 inch or so or better.

Now when Im on my bro-in-laws place if we have a chance to both shoot deer on the same hunt (since we hardly ever get to hunt together) I am more prone to step out of the "trophy" hunting mood Im in when Im on the lease.

No matter what mood im in "trophy" or "meat" i still love deer hunting just as much..

Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

"I don't see anything wrong with trophy hunting as long as the meat goes somewhere and not wasted."

Now that's what my grand-pappy taught me as a young-un. (Did I spell that right?) Don't shoot something unless the meat's going into at least someone's freezer. If it's a trophy, then it's even better.

As far as minimum of points, we have that new 13" minimum which typically means at least an 8 point before he's legal. Let plenty of six pointers go this past season just for that reason. One 6-pt had a huge body, but the antler spread would have gotten me afoul of the game warden if I'd done anything but watch him through the scope like I did.

I'm consider myself more of a meat hunter, but don't mind trying for "the big one" that my daughter has pictures of. He's even been near enough to the house for her to spook just the other day, so I know that he survived this past season. Sure hope my work schedule doesn't change. Maybe this year I can be home on opening day of the season . . . . . . . for once.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 AM
B&C 140 Class

I guess I a little of both. I will keep a years supply of deer meat in the freezor but will not shoot a young buck. As WMI said, they just don't do it for me any more. But, his idea of a little one isn't the same as mine. We have plenty of does here for meat, too many actually. There was a time I'd shoot a young buck if it were a unique situation. I once called a spike to me on the ground while I was scouting and shot him at 20 yards with a bow. I sneaked up on a 5pt feeding in a soybean field and shot him a 15 yards. That kind of thing, but it got too easy on the little guys. Anymore I'll wait on a better than average buck for the farm I'm hunting, one for the wall. So, I guess I'm a trophy hunter where bucks are concerned. But I'm a meat hunter also.

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
B&C 100 Class

Im a meat hunter Racks look good but you cant eat them
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
B&C 100 Class

I consider myself both, the first weekend of season on my property I shoot my doe's, whitetail and axis. I spend the rest of the season hunting my trophies, Sika, blackbuck, Fallow. I shot a big 155 class 11 point 2 years ago and want something larger or with a droptine so I let my kids or a guest shoot the bucks. I trophy hunt my Axis in May and June (33'' or better). Owning my own property (500 of 3000 acres in Real county, Texas, my non-hunting siblings own the rest) has definate benefits.

rattled, responded,....removed from the herd
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

this also is a good topic to discuss. i am a deer hunter, period. love all things about it. i hunt mainly for meat. but if a nice buck gives me a shot--- that being said. i enjoy the outdoors, and just being out in them. i feel i have already "won" just being in the woods. if i get to harvest that is a bonus.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
B&C 120 Class

I hunt primarily for the meat. I love venison and take pride in not havving bought beef (except for one pack of hamburger) for the past 3 years. I Love the idea of a monster trophy buck. I take pride in what is left over after the cutting boards are cleaned. If I had waited for a trophy buck, well, I'd still be waiting. The offseason if for dreaming about big racks, deer season is about the venison.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

Ever get that feeling you are all alone? Guys I still get venison it is just more aged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode