Deer Hunting Forums banner

alfalfa cubes?

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  buckfever 
#1 ·
at my stand i usually use whole corn in a feed pile for the deer but in a recent tractor supply flier i saw alfalfa cubes for $11.89 for 50lbs. i know deer hit alfalfa fields pretty hard and was wondering if anyone had any luck with the cubes. any ideas? also, could someone PLEASE pm me the steps for posting cam pics, i'm not real sure about the process and need walked through it. thanks!

#2 ·
Alfalfa cubes, sounds like a good snack or something. Maybe you could use them elsewhere away from fields. For pic posting go to photobucket.com and transfer your pics from the computer to the photobucket site. Then once you have the pics that you want posted click the "img code" option below the pic. That holds the pic for you so you can go to this site and make your post the put the blinking cursor to where you want the pic and then right click your mouse and pick "paste" from the list and click it. That will put your pic description under your post ' photobucket adsjgr223 blah blah blah. Then your pic wont appear until you click post reply. I think that's kind of right.

#5 ·
Ive never used the cubes before because i simply never thought about it. I got about 40 lbs of them in my barn. I will put some out and see if it looks like the deer are hitting them. I will place them in a place where hopefully I will notice tracks around them. Ive got hayfields around me so a little alfalfa smell should not spook them as odd.

#6 ·
I've tried Range Cubes...they have crushed corn, different grain products, hay/grass....all that kinda stuff, I wasn't sure if the deer ate them or the cows, but if I had to guess the cows probably got there before the deer...I'll try again this weekend, since the cows won't be in that area

#7 ·
I placed some out in a field edge this morning. I know they move through this field but I placed them in a semi muddy,dirt area so the tracks should show fairly well if they hit them. I took some pics of were I placed them. If I find some tracks I will take some pics of them as well.

#8 ·
I checked them out a minute ago. It looked like they made a pass by and messed with them a second. Saw a couple tracks and 2 cubes that looked like they nibbled on them a minute. They definitly did not "wear them out". Those cubes are very hard so I doubt they would spend as much time on them right now when there is so much natural, easy to get food around them.
Plus even though there green when I put them out when the sun hits them they dry out very quickly.

We will have to try them again during winter when everything green is gone. I will keep my eye on these and let you know if anything else develops.

I would not buy any yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.