Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Trail Cameras (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/23105-trail-cameras.html)

tator 09-25-2016 03:00 PM

Trail Cameras

Hi everyone,
I'm in the market for a new trail camera (or 2). I have been running Moultrie's for years, but they are to the point where they are either too old to keep taking quality pics or too undependable. I currently have 4 moultrie cameras. 2 are Gamespy D-40, one is a Moultrie M80 and one is a Moultrie M880i. The D40's have been great cams but they are slowly starting to eat batteries like twinkies and the pics are 90% of the time blurry. The M80 stopped working completely and I have no clue what's wrong with it. It was a VERY good cam for about 3 years. The M880 I've only had about a year but it's starting to shut completely off on it's own here lately and take NO pics (very frustrating when you've had it out in a great spot for 3 weeks and then go check it to find Z E R O pics.) That's what happened today.... :vs_sob:

SOOO... what trail cams do you guys use? I've used Wildgame Innovations in the past but they'd do well for about 2 months and then die on me. (Right GFD?)
I've been looking at Cuddeback Ambush IR but most of the reviews I read say they are junk. Plus they are $79 right now so there has to be something wrong with them.
I'd love to buy a reconyx but I just don't have the income for that. I'm looking for a couple cameras that will LAST 3-4 years. I don't think that's unreasonable. For that amount of money, they should last at least that long.

Thanks in advance!

gfdeputy2 09-26-2016 07:17 AM

Tator I would by a WGI cam in a heartbeat LOL NOT!!!!!!
My moultries are still ticking like clock work. I have not been in the market for a game camera for years so I haven't kept up on what is good & what is not so I can't help you out this time

tator 09-26-2016 07:03 PM

I know what you mean GFD. I loved my moultries but they have become so undependable. Part of it is because two of them are getting old (6-7 years old). But the other two really upset me because they aren't that old. Wish I could find a trail cam that would be dependable for 5-6 years AT LEAST.

tator 09-26-2016 07:10 PM

Been hearing good things about coverts. Anyone run these?

gfdeputy2 09-27-2016 07:47 AM

all have been good for me last one I bought was the D444 & is still going good but pic quality is not as good as the old D55IR & heck we are still running an old D40
Couple buddies run Coverts & they love them. I have never used them so I can't say for sure how good they are
my buddies have been using my cameras the last couple years. I have gone back to basics

tator 09-27-2016 07:00 PM

Had a friend tell me about browning trail cams. The browning strike force 10mp has great reviews and is only $100. Thinking of trying this one out. Still like my Moultrie, but we might just need a break for a little while....

gfdeputy2 09-28-2016 04:30 AM

tator 10-01-2016 11:05 PM

Thanks man, that's a really cool site. Looks like they are big on Stealth Cams. I have never owned one, but heard they are good.

CARiD 10-07-2016 07:31 AM

I really like the stealth cam. They also make protective cases so animals couldn't damage the camera.

tator 10-15-2016 08:22 PM

Well guys... I just clicked (2 seconds ago) to purchase the Stealth Cam G30. It was right at $100 which is right at my price range. All 4 of my moultries have bit the dust this year,, officially. Not sure what to do with them. Thinking about testing them one more time here at home to make sure they are done for, but then not sure what to do with them. I love tinkering with stuff and I'd love to fix them somehow..... anyone on here tinker with fixing broken trail cams???