Your Saturday night, fire-side story. enjoy - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By tator

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
B&C 180 Class

Your Saturday night, fire-side story. enjoy

OK so here's your SATURDAY NIGHT true story. At 7am, the day before the 2016 rifle season, I look out my back window down into the bottom behind my house to see if I see any deer out. I saw nothing. About 2 minutes later, my 4 year old daughter walks to the back door and says, "LOOK A DEER!" I say, no there's not, but I walked to the door just to look. She was telling the truth. It was a doe and it went into the woods just behind my kids' playset. (MIND YOU THE PLAYSET IS 30 YDS FROM MY BACK DOOR!) I walk away and get my clothes on for work and about 5 minutes later, I come back and look outside. I do a double take. I rub my eyes. Yep, biggest buck I've ever seen in my life IN PERSON coming up the hill towards my house. I'm in a panic. It's still bow season. But my bow? It's out in the truck. The buck would see me go from the house to my truck. I have to wait. He comes closer, closer, probably 50 yds. He stops, and the does an about-face and trots off back down into the bottom. He stops. 300yds away from our house. I'm watching, heart pounding. He comes BACK. Closer, closer, closer. Still, I cannot get to my truck until he gets past the playset. I think to myself, I GOT TO GET THIS ON VIDEO! Video starts, this is what you are going to watch. Buck gets past the playset, I SPRINT to my truck and get my bow. I come around the north side of the house, he's already in the woods, crossed the creek and on the neighbors land 60 yds away. I see him WALK off to the west, out of sight. I hunt, and hunt, and hunt, and hunt this buck for a solid week. My neighbor? Yep, let a brother in law hunt on him and he kills a "nice buck" this year. I ask, what did it score? He says, 165. I hang my head.

enjoy

James 1:2-8
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 AM

wow, that's an Awesome buck for sure. I didn't expect that ending but if there's one Buck that size you can bet another one that size isn't too far away... Good Luck next season Tator

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
B&C 180 Class

I hunted that dude hard for over a week. That day was the last day of bow season, and I went out that night, right behind my house but down towards the bottom. I did see a very nice, mature buck that night, but nothing like this dude. This other buck was still 100 yds away and I had no shot on him. I hunted all that weekend, hard, but never saw a single deer. Nothing. Frustrating. I did hear a shot to my south around 7:30am on the second day of the season and that's the shot I'm guessing killed the big boy. Of course, I didn't know what had happened but I hoped that it was a shot on a doe or a smaller buck. :)
Oh well, it was fun hunting him and still nice to know someone got him. I love the thrill of deer season. You just never, ever know!

James 1:2-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode